Water Nipples Question

I have horizontal nipples in the brooder from the get go......but also an open waterer there all the time until about 2 weeks when I start removing it for much of the day.
By then a few have figured out the nipples and others follow suit.
Thank you! 2 weeks it is then! I was trying to decide if I should use the horizontal or the vertical! I just place an order for the horizontal and they should be here on Wednesday!

Based on everything I've read chicks can be started on vertical nipples form day 1, and that's what hatcheries do. You should introduce the chicks to the nipples so they know that's where water comes from.
Thank you! I just ordered some horizontal ones, they should be able to use those also! I love the idea of on demand clean water!

Give me a week or so and I will hopefully be able to tell you how well my baby chicks like em! :)

I couldn't pass up on at least trying them, the nipples are super cheap and a food grade 2 gallon bucket is $3-4 at Lowes.

Give me a week or so and I will hopefully be able to tell you how well my baby chicks like em! :)

I couldn't pass up on at least trying them, the nipples are super cheap and a food grade 2 gallon bucket is $3-4 at Lowes.
Food grade buckets are available for free at bakery/deli counters, you just have to wash the icing out. I asked for them for my maple sap collection.

I was trying to decide if I should use the horizontal or the vertical!
If you live somewhere that it freezes, HN's are definitely the way to go.
Plus I don't like the VN's because they are prone to leak and you can set the vessels down.

This is about cage bottles, but there's some tips here for installing the HN's.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...nipple-waterer-for-wire-crates-by-aart.72704/

Oh, and....Welcome to BYC! @drstratton
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
1584378084985.png

If you live somewhere that it freezes, HN's are definitely the way to go.
Plus I don't like the VN's because they are prone to leak and you can set the vessels down.

This is about cage bottles, but there's some tips here for installing the HN's.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...nipple-waterer-for-wire-crates-by-aart.72704/

Oh, and....Welcome to BYC! @drstratton
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
View attachment 2053251
Thank you for the welcome & info! I live in Eastern Washington, we do get below freezing from time to time! I have updated my profile & now I'm going to look at your article! Thank you so much!

Horizontal is a better choice for freezing weather (vertical will freeze, even if the bucket is heated, as the vertical toggle is less protected from freezing than the horizontal toggle which is mostly internal).

As far as chicks, they may not be able to activate a horizontal toggle while very young, as it requires a certain amount of pressure to trigger. So a vertical nipple would be a better choice with chicks, though you will definitely want to keep an eye on them to make sure they can use it, and that the nipple isn't leaking or dripping enough to cause the bedding to get wet.

I have used both and definitely prefer the horizontal nipples. I live in NW Ohio and have to deal with freezing water every year. I have a 3 gal bucket I bought on Amazon 3 yrs ago and when it gets cold I put a fish tank water heater in to lay on the bottom. The flat plastic type is best. Then just make sure it keeps at least a couple inches in the bucket to cover the heater and pull it out in the spring. As for starting chicks, I use the old chick waterers and put marbles in the bottom. Then I have a square single horizontal nipple bottle I got on Amazon to transition them to the bigger bucket. Good luck, u will find u love chicken nipples!!! (Lol I giggle every time I say that phrase.)

Back
Top Bottom