1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

water soluable antibiotic

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by bethandjoeync, Mar 29, 2009.

1. bethandjoeync

bethandjoeync Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2009
    Iron Station, NC
    i was wondering how many people used this stuff. the kind that was suggested to us can be found at TSC in a small white and yellow baggy. It is water soluable, just a teaspoon per gallon. I think the name of it is D-micin 10...something like that. It has more big words on it than I can handle. but I really want to keep our flock as medicine free as we can. I just don't have the best feeling about it, KWIM? anyways, does anyone use the stuff?, if so why? or why not?

2. Bluemoon420

Bluemoon420 The Rooster Queen

It's Tetracycline. When I was at TSC I had asked if they had medicated chick feed. The sales associate said they didn't but suggested that white and yellow bag to put in the water. Thankfully, I read the label on it. I am allergic to tetracycline, and didn't want to risk possibly having an allergic reaction.

Just a heads up in case anyone has antibiotic allergies

Bluemoon

3. bethandjoeync

bethandjoeync Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2009
    Iron Station, NC
    no allergies as far as us humans go, and the older 7-9 month layers we have, were given it before we bought them. but I just don't have the best feeling about giving them this stuff

4. Indiana hens

Indiana hens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2008
    Pendleton, Indiana
    Price is going up on antibiotics

5. Bluemoon420

I don't think it will hurt them. Maybe save it in case one of them gets sick. I was just glad I had read the label first [​IMG]

Bluemoon

6. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:Sorry, that salesperson is an idiot if he/she was suggesting antibiotics as a replacement for medicated chick starter. Antibiotics are for infections. The medicine in medicated chick starter is not an antibiotic, it's a coccidistat (sp?). It aids in the prevention of and helps the chicks develop an immunity to coccidiosis.
    To bethandjoeync - why do you need the antibiotic? Do you have an infection to treat or were you wanting to use it as a preventive? Using antibiotics "just in case" is never a good idea IMO. Overuse can cause the antibiotics to be ineffective in and when you do truly need them.

7. Bluemoon420

Quote:Sorry, that salesperson is an idiot if he/she was suggesting antibiotics as a replacement for medicated chick starter. Antibiotics are for infections. The medicine in medicated chick starter is not an antibiotic, it's a coccidistat (sp?). It aids in the prevention of and helps the chicks develop an immunity to coccidiosis.
    To bethandjoeync - why do you need the antibiotic? Do you have an infection to treat or were you wanting to use it as a preventive? Using antibiotics "just in case" is never a good idea IMO. Overuse can cause the antibiotics to be ineffective in and when you do truly need them.

No need to be sorry. I kind of got the feeling he didn't know what he was talking about. I didn't buy it, or even get feed there. I went to a local feed store near me instead.
    Antibiotics are for treating infections, not for preventing them. I was just curious if I could even handle something that I knew I had an allergy to. After doing some research myself, the answer was why risk it.

Bluemoon

8. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:Can't say I blame you there. I have no allergies at all, not even hayfever except to lots of medicines. My doctor says I must be the only person in the world allergic to Preperation H! [​IMG]
    When my girls started laying they were still on medicated chick starter/grower. I didn't eat those first eggs for that reason; though most people could with no problems. I just won't take chances when medicines are concerned.

9. big red chicken

big red chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2009
    Greenville NC
    I'm so glad someone brought this up!!!! I was the exact samething to give the anti. once a month to prevent infection, being working in the nursing feild all my life I should have pick that up. We don't administrate med's unless need. Your body will become amune to it. Thanks for the advice.

10. big red chicken

big red chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2009
    Greenville NC
    I also was told to keep it in the fridge? I read the instructions and if I can recall that isn't neccesary.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by