water soluable antibiotic

bethandjoeync

Songster
10 Years
Mar 21, 2009
Iron Station, NC
i was wondering how many people used this stuff. the kind that was suggested to us can be found at TSC in a small white and yellow baggy. It is water soluable, just a teaspoon per gallon. I think the name of it is D-micin 10...something like that. It has more big words on it than I can handle. but I really want to keep our flock as medicine free as we can. I just don't have the best feeling about it, KWIM? anyways, does anyone use the stuff?, if so why? or why not?

It's Tetracycline. When I was at TSC I had asked if they had medicated chick feed. The sales associate said they didn't but suggested that white and yellow bag to put in the water. Thankfully, I read the label on it. I am allergic to tetracycline, and didn't want to risk possibly having an allergic reaction.

Just a heads up in case anyone has antibiotic allergies

Bluemoon

no allergies as far as us humans go, and the older 7-9 month layers we have, were given it before we bought them. but I just don't have the best feeling about giving them this stuff

I don't think it will hurt them. Maybe save it in case one of them gets sick. I was just glad I had read the label first
hmm.png

Bluemoon

Quote:
Sorry, that salesperson is an idiot if he/she was suggesting antibiotics as a replacement for medicated chick starter. Antibiotics are for infections. The medicine in medicated chick starter is not an antibiotic, it's a coccidistat (sp?). It aids in the prevention of and helps the chicks develop an immunity to coccidiosis.
To bethandjoeync - why do you need the antibiotic? Do you have an infection to treat or were you wanting to use it as a preventive? Using antibiotics "just in case" is never a good idea IMO. Overuse can cause the antibiotics to be ineffective in and when you do truly need them.

Quote:
Sorry, that salesperson is an idiot if he/she was suggesting antibiotics as a replacement for medicated chick starter. Antibiotics are for infections. The medicine in medicated chick starter is not an antibiotic, it's a coccidistat (sp?). It aids in the prevention of and helps the chicks develop an immunity to coccidiosis.
To bethandjoeync - why do you need the antibiotic? Do you have an infection to treat or were you wanting to use it as a preventive? Using antibiotics "just in case" is never a good idea IMO. Overuse can cause the antibiotics to be ineffective in and when you do truly need them.

No need to be sorry. I kind of got the feeling he didn't know what he was talking about. I didn't buy it, or even get feed there. I went to a local feed store near me instead.
Antibiotics are for treating infections, not for preventing them. I was just curious if I could even handle something that I knew I had an allergy to. After doing some research myself, the answer was why risk it.

Bluemoon

Quote:
Can't say I blame you there. I have no allergies at all, not even hayfever except to lots of medicines. My doctor says I must be the only person in the world allergic to Preperation H!
roll.png

When my girls started laying they were still on medicated chick starter/grower. I didn't eat those first eggs for that reason; though most people could with no problems. I just won't take chances when medicines are concerned.

I'm so glad someone brought this up!!!! I was the exact samething to give the anti. once a month to prevent infection, being working in the nursing feild all my life I should have pick that up. We don't administrate med's unless need. Your body will become amune to it. Thanks for the advice.

Back
Top Bottom