Waterer for button quail

Coconut233

Hatching
Jan 6, 2022
Hi guys, I was trying out different waterer for my button quail. Because they either soils my bedding or get pooped on so much the mixture is just disgusting. So I thought I bought the nipple waterer from rent a coop might be a good idea. I’ve tried the horizontal nipple but they seem to have trouble pecking the nipple so I change to the yellow nipple instead. They seem to get the hang of it but also looks tiring. I just hope this is more entertaining for them instead of too much work for water🤣

I might change to horizontal nipple after they are adult size. They are 22days by now

Attachments

• 1CFE5F74-C071-4431-8CF8-599F7FC967A0.jpeg
    1CFE5F74-C071-4431-8CF8-599F7FC967A0.jpeg
    644.5 KB · Views: 53
I was using the vertical nipple waters but it kept leaking out, and this last time after filling it something must have gotten stuck open because it drained the whole thing in their new bedding over night. Their cage was a lake. So I’m trying to teach them to use the horizontal nipple water I finally made for them but I’m worried that they don’t seem to be able to depress the pin to get water out. Has anyone had luck with specifically button quail and horizontal nipples? I’ve seen coutornix do it, but they are quite larger.

I was using the vertical nipple waters but it kept leaking out, and this last time after filling it something must have gotten stuck open because it drained the whole thing in their new bedding over night. Their cage was a lake. So I’m trying to teach them to use the horizontal nipple water I finally made for them but I’m worried that they don’t seem to be able to depress the pin to get water out. Has anyone had luck with specifically button quail and horizontal nipples? I’ve seen coutornix do it, but they are quite larger.
My Coturnix are not strong enough for nipples until 3 weeks, and that age is much larger than buttons, I have a drinker I made that has a weighted cup on one side and a nipple on the other, to help them transition, but the buttons never used the nipple side.

For my buttons I use coffee mate bottles with a weighted cup waterer from rent a coop. I put the whole bottle on top of a small Chinese food soup container, the one that’s only about 1 and 1/2 inches tall, that keeps the whole thing elevated off the bedding, and a small bungee cord to keep it secured to the side. They haven’t spilled any yet. I only need to clean the button cage like once every 6 weeks because they poop a lot behind the house and I can just empty that area out often and leave the rest.

A526863B-A690-486E-A9AA-70D30B5C4AC9.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom