Waterer gurus...your help is needed!!

newchicksnducks

Songster
11 Years
May 19, 2009
Richfield, Summit Co.,Ohio
After finding the waterer frozen a couple times in our northern winter, I purchased a heated plastic waterer from Meyers Hatchery. It has been working great since I bought it in November. While bringing it inside on a 5 degree morning to clean and refill it, I dropped it on the stoop edge, chipping the rim of the red base. Now the water level will rise above the chip level, and flood my coop. I took trusty old "duct tape" and made a small patch, but I know this will not hold for long. Does anyone know what I could patch this chip with? Would "bondo" or fiberglass patching that is used in the automotive field work on this? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated:)

Last edited:
I have patched a few broken items ranging from plastic to wood to metal with an epoxy putty. You can but it at Lowes or Home Depot in the section with the adhesives, caulks & glue. Comes in a 4" tube and costs about $4-5.00. It is pliable until it hardens so you can shape it to the edge of your dish. When hardened, it is like concrete and completely waterproof. Great stuff to have around the house.

I agree w/ the previous post but would add perhaps you should lightly sand the connection part to help adherence of the connection between your bonding agent and the waterer. Good Luck

You would be amazed at what 'Gorilla Tape' fixes on a permanent/semi-permanent basis. But for areas with curvature, I like to use the JB-Weld products which are epoxies. Virtually goof proof and as good or better than new when done.

I think for the chip you describe, the gorilla tape would work great and be the easiest to apply. Just cut a piece off that's larger than the chipped area. Put it on the inside of the tray so that it's below the chip but still over the top of the unbroken lip. roll over the top portion so it's stuck on both the interior and exterior and then cut a small piece to cover any of the exposed adhesive area at the chip itself. let it set up well and it should last as long as the waterer.

Make sure it is SAFE to use with drinking water.
sickbyc.gif
I would suggest you look at something that can be used with aquariums for fish. Contact your local TSC or Petshop for ideas. Good luck.

I'd cut a couple of pieces of similar plastic to use on either side of the chip, and glue them in place with JB Weld, also filling the space between. I dont think any kind of tape would last long term

You DO need to sand the area to get the JB Weld to bond

Back
Top Bottom