watery eye and pulled a small blood clot out

Yasmin5

In the Brooder
Jun 14, 2023
FL west palm beach
I have a 1 and a half month old chick and recently i noticed she has a red watery eye she acts normal is around her sister eats drinks etc i thought it might have been an infection so i washed it with saline water and used neosporin ive been treating her for two days and today i went to check on her and noticed a white ball on the side of her eye i got a q tip and removed it and along with it came out a small blood clot and it seemed like her eye was bleeding? I did notice she had a small cut on her lower lid and im not sure what to do currently i cant take her to a vet due to my family not wanting to waste money on a chicken her eye is maintaned opened all the time and they are currently dealing with dry pox but its not severe im not sure what to do would i have to cull her

Welcome To BYC

Can you post photos?

I would continue to care for the eye like you are doing. If she had a small cut on the lower lid, then this may have been the source of the blood.

Welcome To BYC

Can you post photos?

I would continue to care for the eye like you are doing. If she had a small cut on the lower lid, then this may have been the source of the blood.

Attachments

• 9ADF3977-47B6-4672-8EA0-9853F42F58C9.jpeg
    9ADF3977-47B6-4672-8EA0-9853F42F58C9.jpeg
    325.7 KB · Views: 13
Today it got worse and im not sure what to do now i cleaned it like normal but i feel like nothing is working 😞 i wont be able to treat her for two days (ill be out of town) im worried if it’ll continue to get worse while im gone her sister has had no signs of dry pox or anything so i hope its not caused by an illness they were exposed to dry pox about a month ago and about a week ago it started to show i dont want her to be in pain and i feel terrible for not being able to do much for her ☹️

Poor girl.
Dry form of Fowl Pox can take several weeks to resolve. Sometimes the eyes can be affected, especially if the bird scratches at the face/eyes.
I'd just try to clean the eye like you have been doing and monitor her.
For the Dry Pox scabs on the face/combs, try not to disturb them, this can make it worse. Painting scabs with Iodine can help them dry up, just don't get the Iodine in the eyes.

Poor girl.
Dry form of Fowl Pox can take several weeks to resolve. Sometimes the eyes can be affected, especially if the bird scratches at the face/eyes.
I'd just try to clean the eye like you have been doing and monitor her.
For the Dry Pox scabs on the face/combs, try not to disturb them, this can make it worse. Painting scabs with Iodine can help them dry up, just don't get the Iodine in the eyes.
Thank you so much

Back
Top Bottom