Watery GREEN POOP- DESPERATE- third SICK!

OOPS! Meant to say that the bumblefoot WAS of more concern at the moment...OH FANS ON, all the others are on Vita water...for heat stress...and I GOTTA GET THIS UNDER CONTROL- IM GOING NUTS!

THANKS everyone- Tell me what you think!

Hi greenacrsgrl, how did it turn out with the green poo ? I just have lost a chicken who had similar symptoms. I noticed it at about 4pm, and she was gone before next sunrise. I need to know what it all was about.

My rooster is having green poop also. I thought it was because we have lost28 chickens to a weasel and he was depressed. But after reading your post I think it might be more. What would my first step be? Now I'm worried!

My rooster is having green poop also. I thought it was because we have lost28 chickens to a weasel and he was depressed. But after reading your post I think it might be more. What would my first step be? Now I'm worried!
Green poop is usually an indication of not eating(other than eating grass clippings,etc) Examine him for any injuries,check his crop,make sure it is not impacted. Bring him inside in a dog cage/crate so you can see if he is in fact eating. Chickens do get depressed,are any of his girls left alive?

Yes, 11 are left, but they were never his top females. I did bring him in and have started him on an antibiotic. I have seen him eat dome and drink. Nut he still just sits. Does not crow, and his wattles and comb are still a pale pink. I'm hoping a few days of antibiotic wiL help.

my chicken has green poo and is always laying down and he eats but i dont know when and he doesnt roost with my other 4 roosters and how many hens and im getting worried that he is sick and his comb is almost completly purple and cold im getting worried that he is sick and im going to be taking him to the fair and my other roosters push him around but i have plenty of hens for them to share ever his brother is picking on him im just so worried

try corrid, they sell it at Tractor Supply Company stores. You have to act ASAP.

If you can't find it at Tractor Supply, try Agway (if you have one). My TS didn't carry it & no one seemed to have heard of Corid (Corrid?) but the gal from Agway knew exactly what I was talking about. She was out of it, but ordered me some for my Medicine Kit. I was able to get some Sulmet (Sulfamethazine Sodium), which covers Cocci. It comes in a liquid form, white plastic, 16oz bottle & you add it to their drinking water for 6 days. (less than $10)

From the label "Sulmet (sulfamethazine sodium) Drinking Water Solution, 12.5%. Convenient once-a-day dosage in drinking water. Prepare fresh solutions daily.

In Chickens, for the control of: Infectious Coryza (Avibacterium paragallinarum); Coccidiosis (Elmeria tenella, Elmeria necatrix); Acute Fowl Cholera (Pasteurella multocida); Pullorum Disease (Salmonella Pullorum).

Dosage & Administration: Poultry--Add 2 Tablespoons (1 fluid oz) to each gallon of drinking water
if Infectious Coryza (in chickens): Medicate for 2 consecutive days.
Acute Fowl Cholera & Pullorum Disease (in chickens): Medicate for 6 consecutive days
Coccidiosis (in chickens & turkeys): Medicate as above for 2 days [ie: day one = 1 fl oz med/gallon water & day two = new batch 1fl oz med/1 gallon water]
then reduce the amount of Sulmet Drinking Water Solution to one-half for 4 additional days [ie day 3 = new batch 1/2 oz med/gallon water, same on days 4, 5 & 6]

You shouldn't eat the eggs during the treatment, or for at least 10 days afterward. And because the risk of excessive dosage could be toxic for the birds, I wouldn't keep the eggs at all.
(I originally thought I might just scramble them up and give them to the girls as a treat, but after reading the label warning, I thought better of it. 16 total days without fresh eggs is a small price to pay for their health even though I hate to waste the beautiful eggs they work so hard to make for us.)

I hope this helps!

Last edited:
I originally wondered if anyone knew how long after the start of medication that it might take for the green poo to go away, but the problem seems to have gone away already. I've been giving my smallest chicken some extra tlc, including her own batch of medicated water via drops from a syringe, special food (organic mash with flax, chia & sesame seeds on top), and though she's better, I don't really think she's eating like she should. Her crop didn't seem very full these last two nights until I coaxed her to eat. At least she got a little bit of food & fluid into her system, but I can tell that I'm going to have to really keep an eye on her. Tonight, we had some cooked fish mixed with her mash and she seemed to really like it. When she finished her portion, she looked at me then pecked the empty bowl, then looked at me again. After she finished her 2nd portion, she seemed ready to close her eyes & cuddle before we went back outside to sit with her 'sisters'. Hopefully, this is the beginning of her appetite coming back, especially since tomorrow will be the last day of the medication.

I'm waiting to see how everyone does over this coming week. I look forward to seeing her spring back to her sweet self.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom