Watery GREEN POOP- DESPERATE- third SICK!

A symptom of fatty liver is green poop. Fatty liver is often caused by caloric surplus (eating a higher-energy-than-necessary diet). Keep an eye out for ruffled feathers, lack of appetite, and lethargy. Re-examine nutritional requirements and adjust feed.

Green poo means they are dehydrated and starved.  I had a hen that died this way for no apparent reason; give them electrolytes (gatorade), yogurt to help with digestion, and mash their normal food with warm water to make it easier to eat.  Keep them in a warm, dry place (preferably in the house so that you can watch them at all times).  You can also give them tomatos and cut up grapes if they look like they could eat more.  Protein is a good thing to give them, too.  Although, I'm not sure it would be a good idea to give them bugs, since the bugs might be carrying whatever made them sick in the first place.  Also, it may help to clean out their coop, hose it down, and let it dry, just to make sure that whatever your birds have isn't being spread through contact with the same shavings, hay, ect . . .

Hope your birds get through this!

Hi.
Great information.
My Problem though is a Male Guinea Fowl(Tommy), leed Tom. We aren't sure what happened. Put him in the infermary. 4 days later, he can't walk and he has green poo. I'm building a sling for him now.
Any help from anyone at this point will help. Thanks

This is a Urgent-Please help.
We are feeding layer as suggested, provide grass,, meal worms and recently wood beetles. They have been Very healthy over a year now, until last week when Tommy, our big male guinea Fowl was being picked on horribly. So one suggested we removed him, put him in our infermary(hospital) . He has slowly gone down hill. What do we do. We are in East Texas. Weather is hot, humid. They have plenty of filtered fresh water....HELP
1) bedding clean
2) making a sling tonight
3) deworming?
4) tried to dropper feed & water(to wild)

What do we do? Help help help

Have you tried putting a fan on him? In the summers, I'll sometimes position a box fan (out of my chickens' reach!) so that they can cool off. The heat seems to bother some of them more than others.

Edit: Just thought of this, too. If you're not sure about worming him, I'd hold off on that. Sometimes worming can put more stress on birds, which can be counterproductive. If he were a chicken, I'd say give him some garlic if you want to treat for worms but don't want to overstress him, but I don't know if garlic is ok for guinea fowl.
Welcome to BYC!

Last edited:
My EE is going through the same symptoms. She used to lay but then got sick and then started laying soft shell eggs. Now she is OK but not laying and has poops exactly like your photo. She also has a lot of broken feathers and is underweight compared to the other ones. ANy idea what was wrong with your EE?

This is how my rescued EE poops on her roost. Last night she entered the coop earlier than usual and sat with her wings extended. (It's been hot recently.) This morning she just drank and drank but I didn't see her eat anything. I've had her for a year and her poops have been like this off and on. She was a daily egg layer with occasional shell-less or weak shell eggs but hasn't laid recently and is not broody. Age unknown. She's been wormed recently with valbazen. Her 15 companions are fine. She lives in the right-hand building below.

She's better today, thank goodness. I've still taken her aside from the flock & given her special attention while I give her food & (medicated) water & will probably continue to do so for a while...at least until I think she's rebounded. By that time, we may just be into a routine of "Just Us" time, lol. I can think of lots of ways to spend time, but no better way to spend it than with my girls.
Hi, I have had a sick roo and noticed the green poo while cleaning the coop. What did yo medicate the water withh ? Corrid as someone suggested?

Hi Jrobchickenlady:

If you read back thru the thread, all of the info is there. Directions, ratios, etc. I hope this helps your fellow. Please let us know how he's doing.

Back
Top Bottom