adickenscoop

Songster
Mar 15, 2015

Attachments

• keeping-chickens-cool-in-hot-weather_2019-poultrydvm.png
    keeping-chickens-cool-in-hot-weather_2019-poultrydvm.png
    470.5 KB · Views: 43
I found this infographic with some great tips for ways to keep your flock cool during the summer. I thought I would share it with everyone - http://www.poultrydvm.com/featured-infographic/keeping-chickens-from-overheating
I totally agree about all the advice given in this link with the exception of the electrolytes. I give electrolytes to my flock twice a week during the very hot summers we have in South Texas. I have noticed it helps with the heat stress. The page does not say why electrolytes should not be given, I would like to know their sources for this statement to verify it. I will have to do some research because now I am curious about this.

I totally agree about all the advice given in this link with the exception of the electrolytes. I give electrolytes to my flock twice a week during the very hot summers we have in South Texas. I have noticed it helps with the heat stress. The page does not say why electrolytes should not be given, I would like to know their sources for this statement to verify it. I will have to do some research because now I am curious about this.
I read it and I thought it said not to give acv but didn’t say why not. It did say to give electrolytes. Did I read it wrong??

I've used a misting system before, and it works well to keep the chickens cool.

Some of the info is valid, some is misleading or lacking in details...IMO making the whole thing :barnie.

I too give EL during heat waves here, maybe once a week....plain water should always be available at the same time. Too much EL can throw the systems off, but I don't know the details, but common sense dictates moderation IMO.

The misting systems only work well in arid climates.

I give a dose of Sav-a-Chick electrolytes/vitamins about once a week during heat waves.
It really seems to help....started this after they saved a heat stroked hen once.
Can mix up a smaller amount, just wrap the packet tight and store in a dry cool place. Always have plain water available too.

BIG(9x14x2") chunks of ice last all day for wading, sitting, and sipping.
full

Make space in your freezer!
full

Yes Aart you are absolutely right. I forgot to mention that plain water should always be given in addition to EL. It is important to always have at least two sources of fresh clean water or more (depending on the size of the flock) in case something goes wrong with one source. Chickens should have a choice and drink what they want and need.

BTW I tried your idea about putting a shallow tray of water for them to get in and cool their feet, this time I grabbed the ones that let me catch them and placed each one on the water still holding them, they seemed to like it but as soon as I turned them loose they escaped flying out. Chickens... got to love the little darlings! If only I could get into their little brains that this cooling is for their own good ...:he I will keep on trying though

BTW I tried your idea about putting a shallow tray of water for them to get in and cool their feet, this time I grabbed the ones that let me catch them and placed each one on the water still holding them, they seemed to like it but as soon as I turned them loose they escaped flying out.
I don't add water anymore just the ice chunk, which will melt of course but slowly.
Some love it, others do not....I let them decide.

The misting systems only work well in arid climates.
Correct. Humidity has to be low in order for them to work. I tried misters out of desperation to cool my chickens few years ago with very bad results (I used the right orifices for humid areas) so if you live in Arizona, Nevada or any other place with low humidity, misters work well.
Also too much moisture on the ground could have adverse effects by creating a perfect environment for a cocci outbreak. I just lightly damp the sand in the run and yard areas where it dries out in one day. I also add more sand in their favorite dusting areas so there will be cool sand on the bottom for them to bring it up while dusting.

adickenscoop my apologies to you. I re-read the link you posted and yes indeed. It says to give electrolytes so you did read it right, I DID NOT!!!!

I have auto waterers at all of my coops. On real hot days, (which we have a lot of during the summer months) I have sprinklers in some of the pens that cover all of the pens. It cools the ground off and the birds like to scratch in the damp sand. They also have rain/shade tables to get under as well as shade trees in all of the pens. This picture was taken during the winter here.
IMG_20181202_133523.jpg

Back
Top Bottom