Wazine 17 - How many days should the eggs not be eaten?

Thanks for this thread...I too just bought Wazine 17 from the feed store (asked for a chicken wormer and that's what they gave me?) I have been hesitant to use it as I read all sorts of different posts...good and bad!

I have a girl down with what I think is 'sour crop' but think it is a symptom of something else so i am going to try worming them and see.

I looked up the 'rooster booster' stuff and bought some so hopefully that will work as well. It's on its way.

I think I have decided to go ahead and use the Wazine today and then give them the roosterbooster wormer when it comes as this is the first time I have wormed my girls.
fl.gif

Ok.....According to this , I put 1 oz in a gallon. The Wazine 17. Are the eggs not to be consumed??? For how long with just treated once???? I please need some help here. Kind of lost. Thanks.
T.S. Adcox :

I posted this on other forums and repeat here for the rest of you.

There have been several posting regarding the use of Piperazine 17 for worming chickens. I, too, bought Wazine 17 without reading the label too closely. I contacted someone I have met and trust, i.e., a professor at University of Connecticut, Ph.D, of the Dept. of Animal Science, and posed the question of using this product in laying hens. Here is his reply in quotes: "Yes the WAZINE is the same as the Piperazine. I know what the label says and everyone with laying hens uses this without any problem to either them or the hens. They just don’t want to spend the $$ on all the FDA testing to use in layers. Eggs can be eaten. Use 1 oz of wazine 17 per gal of water. Treat for 1 day and then about 14 to 21 days later treat again."

I hesitate to use his name without his permission but will do so directly to anyone who contacts me directly at: [email protected]

(10 young hens, 4 laying, 6 still on welfare)​

We had pine shavings in the coop and replaced it with sweet smelling straw and she has got a lot better. She still lays no eggs. And when she does the shell is paper thin.
Quote:

I had gotten a couple of new chickens and had them in the coop, but sectioned off seperately. Before co-mingling them I took a poop sample from both groups into our local co op to have sent out to be tested. The new group came back positive for roundworms - but in the early stages. I have treated with Wazine. I will also treat again in 21 days. (There is also a natural treatment called Verm X that is supposed to be much safer but is pricey.)

When you think about the minimal medicine these birds comsumed and live to tell about it, I hardly think their eggs are going to be toxic to me. I probably won't feed them to my grandson if he comes over, but I will feed them to myself and my DH without hesitation.

Just an opinion here though - I would rather pay a couple of bucks to have their poop tested than to play doctor and pump chemicals into them hit and miss.

As for the long stringy worms, I know in horse poo that's roundworms. There just aren't any fly larvae, beetle larvae or earthworms that are long and skinny like thread, if that's what was seen.

Quote:
I recommend you reworm your chickens 10-14 days after using the wazine with a broad spectrum wormer to kill large roundworms the wazine missed as well as their larva and other types of worms such as cecal worms, capillary worms etc....Wazine only gets rid of large roundworms. There will be no "hit and miss" using a second wormer. If you treat past the the 14th day, you're possibly giving the roundworms another chance to reproduce...it would have been a waste of time and money worming them the first time.
There is a warning that states not to medicate prior to slaughter within 14 days. If they are good to eat after the 14th day, so are the eggs. If you decide to eat the eggs prior to the 14th day, there is always the possibility of a reaction to the piperazine residue in the eggs no matter how minute the quantity is.
VermX might help as a preventative, but it is not a wormer...here are its ingredients: Garlic, quassia, cayenne, slippery elm, cinnamon. thyme, peppermint. A true wormer such as Safeguard equine paste (fenbendazole) or Safeguard liquid goat wormer are much cheaper to purchase. Valbazen (albendazole) kills all known worms that chickens can get.

I know this post is a bit quiet, but, I just am curious.

can you still eat the eggs when you use wazine??

Quote:
There is a warning on the bottle that states not to medicate prior to slaughter within 14 days for turkey's and chickens. If the chicken is good to eat after the 14th day, so are the eggs.

Quote:
I recommend you reworm your chickens 10-14 days after using the wazine with a broad spectrum wormer to kill large roundworms the wazine missed as well as their larva and other types of worms such as cecal worms, capillary worms etc....Wazine only gets rid of large roundworms. There will be no "hit and miss" using a second wormer. If you treat past the the 14th day, you're possibly giving the roundworms another chance to reproduce...it would have been a waste of time and money worming them the first time.
There is a warning that states not to medicate prior to slaughter within 14 days. If they are good to eat after the 14th day, so are the eggs. If you decide to eat the eggs prior to the 14th day, there is always the possibility of a reaction to the piperazine residue in the eggs no matter how minute the quantity is.
VermX might help as a preventative, but it is not a wormer...here are its ingredients: Garlic, quassia, cayenne, slippery elm, cinnamon. thyme, peppermint. A true wormer such as Safeguard equine paste (fenbendazole) or Safeguard liquid goat wormer are much cheaper to purchase. Valbazen (albendazole) kills all known worms that chickens can get.

Where can one find the Valbazen? What would the product be called ? I just wormed for definite round worms with wazine and will pull that water today so it will have been used for 24 hrs. Now in 10 days, I would like to give the Valbazen. What are the cautions for eating the eggs using the Valbazen? Does using organic vinegar in the drinking water on a regular basis help with parasites?

Back
Top Bottom