Wazine17

Go here and read...
http://www.fda.gov/downloads/AnimalVeterinary/Products/ApprovedAnimalDrugProducts/FOIADrugSummarie
s/ucm049524.pdf

It seems strange to us why they are requiring the 17 days when they use to give this to humans at way higher dose's. the amount we are giving the chickens per Wazine17 bottle is very low in comparison. The man at the lab where wazine is made said the wazine is a very safe product. He didn't say but implied the 17 days is way to long. Think about it folks, if we are to treat the chickens every 14 days and have to wait 17 days before eating the eggs, then we would never get to eat the eggs. I am not buying the wait period 17 days. We are waiting 5 days and we don't treat for worms every 14 days.

Go here and read...
http://www.fda.gov/downloads/AnimalVeterinary/Products/ApprovedAnimalDrugProducts/FOIADrugSummarie
s/ucm049524.pdf

It seems strange to us why they are requiring the 17 days when they use to give this to humans at way higher dose's. the amount we are giving the chickens per Wazine17 bottle is very low in comparison. The man at the lab where wazine is made said the wazine is a very safe product. He didn't say but implied the 17 days is way to long. Think about it folks, if we are to treat the chickens every 14 days and have to wait 17 days before eating the eggs, then we would never get to eat the eggs. I am not buying the wait period 17 days. We are waiting 5 days and we don't treat for worms every 14 days.
On the bottle of wazine it states that there's a 14 day slaughter withdrawal period. If the chicken is good to eat after 14 days, so are the eggs. Keep in mind that wazine only gets rid of large roundworms. Chickens can carry several types of worms and it's best to use an off label broad spectrum wormer to kill them. Valbazen cattle/sheep wormer is your best wormer, kills all types of worms that chickens can get. Safeguard liquid goat wormer is a very good wormer for chickens as well. With either product, there's a 14 day withdrawal period after last dosing.
You could worm first with either product, then reworm your birds 10 days later...a total of 24 days withdrawal start to finish tossing eggs or feeding them to your dog(s.) Got to check with a vet though and see if your breed of dog would be sensitive to albendazole (valbazen) or fenbendazole (safeguard) residue in the eggs.

Thanks Dawg! Just got on to see if it was ok to give my dogs eggs from deworming with Valbazen! I will check with a vet...hate to throw out the beautiful eggs! Dealing with Tapes.....yuck! And FYI to anybody who questions Valbazen - it has been the best dewormer to date! I thought my older hens were just looking raggedy because of their age - after worming, they have put on weight, their feathers are beautiful again and they are eating a whole lot less! It is amazing the difference! They obviously needed it even though I worm 2x a year with a different wormer, obviously they needed the broader spectrum to get the tapes!

Thank you for the reply, the 14 day is for slaughter is correct, but we don't eat these chickens we have. The bottle states "Not to use wazine17 on chickens that produce eggs" That prompted me to call the makers of Wazine17, they said the FDA says wait 17 days after treating chickens with wazine17 before eating eggs. The 14 days your implying is a "assumption" 17 days is what FDA says. However after reading about the active drug Piperazine on the FDA site as posted in my first post, we believe the 17 day or even if it was 14 day wait period is way to long to wait. If one reads the site I posted they will see why we say that, coupled with what the man at Fleming Laboratories, INC told me, and that is the FDA is being very, very conservative as to the 17 days wait period. That being said, we decided to go ahead and eat the eggs after about 5 days and we feel safe doing that.

Thank you for the reply, the 14 day is for slaughter is correct, but we don't eat these chickens we have. The bottle states "Not to use wazine17 on chickens that produce eggs" That prompted me to call the makers of Wazine17, they said the FDA says wait 17 days after treating chickens with wazine17 before eating eggs. The 14 days your implying is a "assumption" 17 days is what FDA says. However after reading about the active drug Piperazine on the FDA site as posted in my first post, we believe the 17 day or even if it was 14 day wait period is way to long to wait. If one reads the site I posted they will see why we say that, coupled with what the man at Fleming Laboratories, INC told me, and that is the FDA is being very, very conservative as to the 17 days wait period. That being said, we decided to go ahead and eat the eggs after about 5 days and we feel safe doing that.

I wouldn't eat the eggs so soon (at 5 days). To quote a good friend, "These wormers are poisons."

We aren't telling anyone else to do what we are doing, we just feel when you look at the amount that's given to humans then compare that to what one gives to chickens and then the wait period of 5 days, we don't see where we would be getting very much if any of the wazine17 in the eggs. We feel the wormer has ran it's course within the 5 days. We might be wrong, and we are looking for any signs that might lead us to believe there is a problem. Again if one reads the doses that's given to humans and compare it with what's given to the chickens, there is really no need to worry we are getting to much in the eggs.That is our opinion.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom