1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

we 80% cance on snow for tomorrow evening

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by chixie, Dec 3, 2009.

1. chixie

chixie Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2009
    kountze texas
    I am so worried about my babies... I know they will be warm..I always check on them during the night... I just can not help worrying...

2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    How old are you babies? Are they in a draft free coop?

3. chixie

Apr 6, 2009
    kountze texas
    they are 9 weeks ld and yes they are are in a draft free coop..I am just worry...Told dh I was gonna sleep with them..lol the also have 2 heat lamps

Last edited: Dec 4, 2009
  4. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    I know how you feel. I just put my almost 6 week old chicks in their little coop (with a heat lamp). We got pretty cold last night, and I went out several times to check on them and make sure they weren't cold. I opened the door, and they looked at me like "what's up?" They were all warm and toasty in there.

5. gottalovemychickens

gottalovemychickens SaveAChickenRideACowboy

Seriously , you will not have any problems , my chickens survived in their chicken coop with no heater . This past 2 days , our high was only 13* and our low was -15* with windchill of -20* . YOU WILL BE FINE PROMISE !!!!

6. chixie

Apr 6, 2009
    kountze texas
    Ithanks..I know they will be fine...its not like there is only one(12 in total) .... I am keeping an eye on them...

7. gritsar

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:I used to do that when mine were small, then my DH insisted I stop. He argued, correctly as it turns out, that every time I opened the door I was letting in a cold draft. He built me a step, so I could look in the window and check on them. [​IMG]

8. Bandit

Bandit Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2009
    Utah
    We got down to about 7 degrees last night. After I watched the weather, I got a blanket and went and put on our little coop. I don't know if it helped them but I felt better! And this morning my four girls were just fine!

9. gritsar

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:Not a bad idea at all, for a small coop. [​IMG] I've also heard of folks stacking hay bales around the outside of their small coops for extra insulation. [​IMG]

10. Vanessabuffsnsilkies

Vanessabuffsnsilkies Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2009
    NE Ohio
    I stacked straw bales around the northwest walls where the wind seems to blow the most. My chicks are 9 weeks and I still have the light on out there. There getting really big and the look like mini adults so I can probly leave that light off now. It got down in the twenties the last two nights. I've never raised chicks this time of year so I'm not real sure either when they can live without the heat lamp.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by