we 80% cance on snow for tomorrow evening

chixie

Songster
10 Years
Apr 6, 2009
kountze texas
I am so worried about my babies... I know they will be warm..I always check on them during the night... I just can not help worrying...

they are 9 weeks ld and yes they are are in a draft free coop..I am just worry...Told dh I was gonna sleep with them..lol the also have 2 heat lamps

Last edited:
I know how you feel. I just put my almost 6 week old chicks in their little coop (with a heat lamp). We got pretty cold last night, and I went out several times to check on them and make sure they weren't cold. I opened the door, and they looked at me like "what's up?" They were all warm and toasty in there.

Ithanks..I know they will be fine...its not like there is only one(12 in total) .... I am keeping an eye on them...

Quote:
I used to do that when mine were small, then my DH insisted I stop. He argued, correctly as it turns out, that every time I opened the door I was letting in a cold draft. He built me a step, so I could look in the window and check on them.
smile.png

We got down to about 7 degrees last night. After I watched the weather, I got a blanket and went and put on our little coop. I don't know if it helped them but I felt better! And this morning my four girls were just fine!

Quote:
Not a bad idea at all, for a small coop.
smile.png
I've also heard of folks stacking hay bales around the outside of their small coops for extra insulation.
wink.png

I stacked straw bales around the northwest walls where the wind seems to blow the most. My chicks are 9 weeks and I still have the light on out there. There getting really big and the look like mini adults so I can probly leave that light off now. It got down in the twenties the last two nights. I've never raised chicks this time of year so I'm not real sure either when they can live without the heat lamp.

Back
Top Bottom