We are building our first run and have a few questions

Laura78

Songster
10 Years
Feb 24, 2009
Snohomish County, WA
Hi, I'm new here and fairly new to chickens (it's been about 20 or so yrs since I've been around chickens and I'm in my 20s, lol).

So, I went and got 11 chicks from the feed store. Already have a coop, got the fencing material, just need to set a day aside and build it. I know we should of gotten the run done first, but we figured with them needing to be inside for about 6 weeks it wouldn't be a big deal. The chicks are still only 5 days old. What our main concern is that we're going to have problems the a neighbor's dog. They allow their dog to run loose, which I've called AC on many times but they don't do anything but give them another ticket for the loose dog. I do know that I can legally shoot their dog when it's attacking my livestock, but I don't want to kill their dog. I'd rather deturre (sp?) it all together. I was thinking about getting barb wire to put around the run and coop, but I'm not sure how well that will work. What about regular chain link fencing? We're waiting on one neighbor to finish back filling the ground behind us that he tore up to put up a regular fence. Anyone else got any ideas? TIA.

If you get chainlink, but chicken wire around the bottom 2 feet. They love to stick their heads and and lets just say this could end in a tragedy.

If you ever find your birds dead or dying from being mauled by the dog, you will change your mind about not wanting to shoot it. Not much will deter a determined dog. A hot wire may be useful, but no dog would be better. I would tell them you are getting chickens and at least give them the chance to do the right thing.

I lost 16 birds in one day to two roaming dogs- one was badly wounded and still carries the scars- no qualms any more about shooting a rogue dog- mine or anyone else's for that matter.

Quote:
I don't think talking to them will help. He's gone after my dogs, and my pond fish, they just don't care. The dog has even gone after people. Thankfully, it's scared of me and now my dog. Was thinking about printing the laws out that state I can shoot their dog, hylighting it, and taping it to their door. I could also just set a trap for their dog and turn it into the shelter.

Check out my run, it is easy to build and no dog can get my chicken

13683_chickens_run_001.jpg

13683_chickens_run_003.jpg

13683_chickens_run_004.jpg

it is real big 40'x 10' so I spend about $$ on building it, but it will last for ever.

Omran.

chick'n'run :

Quote:
how much did you spend on it?

well every thing including a metal roof was about $650 on the run.
the coop was 90% recycled and I had to spend $400 on the coop because I had to buy concrete for floor​

Back
Top Bottom