We did a thing! 😍

Haha. I love it!

Hubby about had a cow when I told him we'd probably need a minimum of 10, just as a ballpark guess.

I've been kind of eyeballing the swedish, I'm not sure if I've seen the Welsh harlequin yet. Because of the time frame I'll be bringing them in, I've noticed some hatcheries have already stopped shipping ducks so I've been looking at Metzer Farms options.
You can also look into adopting older ducks. Contact rescues (ASPCA), check the online ads, look at local Facebook groups (I don't do Facebook, and my daughter refuses to indulge me anymore, lol!).

Haha. I love it!

Hubby about had a cow when I told him we'd probably need a minimum of 10, just as a ballpark guess.

I've been kind of eyeballing the swedish, I'm not sure if I've seen the Welsh harlequin yet. Because of the time frame I'll be bringing them in, I've noticed some hatcheries have already stopped shipping ducks so I've been looking at Metzer Farms options.
I have 2 black Swedish, 1 blue Swedish, 2 Appleyards, 1 black runner, 1 Cayuga, 1 Welsh Harlequin, and 1 Buff Orpington. They're 6 weeks and 5 weeks tomorrow! I wanted an assortment so we ordered from Metzer (with the exception of the black Swedish from TSC) although 1 of those 2 has a half blue chest so she must be a mix.

We had a great experience with Metzer. The only left on my list is Saxony. I'm pretty sure our blue Swedish are both boys so I'll be adding 2 more females in a few weeks.

I have 2 black Swedish, 1 blue Swedish, 2 Appleyards, 1 black runner, 1 Cayuga, 1 Welsh Harlequin, and 1 Buff Orpington. They're 6 weeks and 5 weeks tomorrow! I wanted an assortment so we ordered from Metzer (with the exception of the black Swedish from TSC) although 1 of those 2 has a half blue chest so she must be a mix.

We had a great experience with Metzer. The only left on my list is Saxony. I'm pretty sure our blue Swedish are both boys so I'll be adding 2 more females in a few weeks.
Aw, what a great assortment! I was debating on just going for a mystery box with the mixed assortment as I'm finding it super hard to decide on breeds. 😂

They are all beautiful in their own way. Do you like your swedish? It's one breed I've had my eye on.

You can also look into adopting older ducks. Contact rescues (ASPCA), check the online ads, look at local Facebook groups (I don't do Facebook, and my daughter refuses to indulge me anymore, lol!).
Good idea, Thank you.

All our rescues are currently overwhelmed with dogs and guinea pigs with 4 recent hoard situations.

I really only use Facebook for the groups but absolutely a good place to check.

Aw, what a great assortment! I was debating on just going for a mystery box with the mixed assortment as I'm finding it super hard to decide on breeds. 😂

They are all beautiful in their own way. Do you like your swedish? It's one breed I've had my eye on.
Mystery boxes are great! I am just always concerned about getting a breed I'd rather not have. What are the characteristics you're looking for?

My Swedish are very sweet. My blue is a little nervous when picked up, but settles in nicely for snuggles. My black (and black/blue) swedes are very loving - they'll talk to me and nuzzle my hand, follow me everywhere, and really enjoy being held.

Mystery boxes are great! I am just always concerned about getting a breed I'd rather not have. What are the characteristics you're looking for?

My Swedish are very sweet. My blue is a little nervous when picked up, but settles in nicely for snuggles. My black (and black/blue) swedes are very loving - they'll talk to me and nuzzle my hand, follow me everywhere, and really enjoy being held.
That's a very valid point about the mixed boxes.

I'd like breeds that are friendly, relatively calm, hopefully affectionate 😂.

The 2 Pekins are super sweet, and one of the white layers which are all the boys but the white layer female is always so scared of everything she sends everyone into a nervous frenzy.

Also, unless I have my breeds backwards which I could the male white layer(still a purplish bill) is larger and way heavier than all the others. I told my hubby if he's a white layer I don't think he is supposed to be as big as he is. He walks slower and since gaining size rapidly he almost has like an out of breath wheeze from just walking.

That's a very valid point about the mixed boxes.

I'd like breeds that are friendly, relatively calm, hopefully affectionate 😂.

The 2 Pekins are super sweet, and one of the white layers which are all the boys but the white layer female is always so scared of everything she sends everyone into a nervous frenzy.

Also, unless I have my breeds backwards which I could the male white layer(still a purplish bill) is larger and way heavier than all the others. I told my hubby if he's a white layer I don't think he is supposed to be as big as he is. He walks slower and since gaining size rapidly he almost has like an out of breath wheeze from just walking.
Have you looked at Metzer's comparison sheet for ducks? I find that helps some. Although my Cayuga definitely has a better temperament than indicated on that sheet and my Buff is a royal pain in the butt and sets everyone off screaming. My Appleyards are a bit high maintenance and very noisy, but loving.

How much are you feeding your layer?

Look like little Pekins. Sometimes Perkins need extra niacin. So some nutritional yeast on their duck starter will help. 1 Tlbs per cup of duck starter.
Great! Thank you. I tried to guess them off TSC website, I narrowed it to 2 or 3 varieties and Pekin was one.
I will look now to see who has it in stock to pickup today. Is this something I would find in our food stores or at a feed store?

Welp, so it appears 3 of the 4 are boys! :barnie

I've already gave the hubby his options which were-

*Get rid of the girl and keep a bachelor coop. Lol. The girl is the least trusting, and most high strung. (Nobody wanted to give up any of the boys)

OR

Bring in more girls to even out the ratio.

Sooooo, that brings me to my next 2 questions, what is the best boy to girl ratio to keep things peachy? 3-1, 4-1, or more to one?

I'd like to bring in a couple other breeds, any recommendations for sweet, friendly females?

Back
Top Bottom