We did a thing! 😍

The ones with the pale/pink bills look like my white layer did when she was young. Her beak eventually turned yellow but it was pale pink for the first couple of months. Enjoy those sweet little quackers!

The ones with the pale/pink bills look like my white layer did when she was young. Her beak eventually turned yellow but it was pale pink for the first couple of months. Enjoy those sweet little quackers!
That's what I suspected. I wish they were still little but lots of enjoyment and entertainment from these guys. Haha.

@silverlinings

Actually I just snapped some today! Here's a video as well if it works properly.

We're trying to get their area outside finished this week, it's been 108° and looking at 112° Tuesday, so going a little slower than planned.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1jSIL-mLNhDBQTd9OZmf2Rtu12RdRKxQG/view?usp=drivesdk

20220904_090346.jpg
20220904_090327.jpg

Welp, so it appears 3 of the 4 are boys! :barnie

I've already gave the hubby his options which were-

*Get rid of the girl and keep a bachelor coop. Lol. The girl is the least trusting, and most high strung. (Nobody wanted to give up any of the boys)

OR

Bring in more girls to even out the ratio.

Sooooo, that brings me to my next 2 questions, what is the best boy to girl ratio to keep things peachy? 3-1, 4-1, or more to one?

I'd like to bring in a couple other breeds, any recommendations for sweet, friendly females?

They do poop a lot. One of my tiniest ducks could turn a tub full of water dark in one poop. She was broody then, but it was astounding!

Also if you want to have a better idea on the breed, look at their eyes. Pekins have blue eyes while buffs will have brown eyes.

Pekins can also grow noticably overnight. I would go to bed and wake up, and they be bigger than the night before. It is crazy how much those little ones grow in such a short time! I really wish they would stay smaller just a couple more weeks, because it was too short.
I had no idea pekins had blue eyes and buffs had brown 😮

If you have the room, bring in more! :D Ten females per male sounds about right. Right?

Research various breeds. See if there's anything you like the look of. My personal favourite is the Welsh Harlequin for females, they are so pretty!

Back
Top Bottom