We Gave In...

aghiowa

Songster
9 Years
Sep 14, 2010
Hi all! I have a 2 yr old Cochin/Ameracauna mix that is broody yet again, so we finally gave in and are getting her some (1/2 dozen) fertile eggs to sit on. So....what do I do now? Advice? Links to articles? We have 4 laying pullets as well - I assume they will leave her alone, and hopefully we can keep their eggs separate, since sometimes they lay in "her" nest.

Any help is appreciated. We want this to be a fun, educational experience for the family.

Thanks!
Angela

If you don't have a place to move her and her eggs I'd mark on the eggs that you want her to sit on so no new ones are laid in there. Just take a pencil and mark an X on the ones and then remove any new eggs.

Pretty much nothing else to do:) If she's a good mama then in 21 says give or take you should have some chickies!

Congratz!
AC

Every time one of mine goes broody, when she gets out of the nest box to eat or drink, she goes back to the wrong nest. It isn't just one girl that does it either! They don't seem to know which box they have been sitting in for a few days so, if I want one of mine to hatch eggs, I'd move her at night with her eggs to her own seperate broody box. HTH!

Our easy broody solution:

Plastic apple crates. They are huge (5x5) or so and about 2.5 ft deep.
Fill with some shavings and add a water. We have a chainlink gate that goes over the top to protect them from predators.
they are a little overkill for a brood area/but eliminate the need to move the hen & chicks for a week so after the hatch.
Then when she is ready to range with her brood you fill the whole thing and pressure wash it out.

I have brood-ed two of my girls at one time in the same crate (opposite corners.) They were forever changing nests, but when everybody hatched they shared mommy duties too. No harm done, and the little fuzz butts had 2 devoted mamas to protect them.

Back
Top Bottom