We got a free range rooster to take care of our 9 hens

AmazingGrace

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jun 8, 2011
He's a massive bird, don't know what breed he is. I have him in the coop in a separate crate with chicken wire that my son and I built. My question is: How long do I need to keep him away from the girls before I let him out? He's had a tough time. He lived on a poultry farm where a dog got to his tail feathers. He took care of the dog and when we were trying to catch him I watched him take on 3 Tom Turkeys! (How do I upload a picture here???) But he quieted right down when we put him in the crate, and when we caught him he wasn't aggressive.

I think you have to get 10 posts before you can upload pics. Even responses to posts count. And there should be a tutorial when you can finally get to that section - it was helpful.

Congrats on the rooster - it sounds like he could use a bit of a break to recover some. As long as he is near the hens and they can see each other and meet through a "fence", I would think that will help with integrating him. Maybe keep him separated for a week or so and then let him mingle with the girls for short periods of time and keep an eye on their interactions. As long as no one is causing injury, let this continue. If fighting occurs, separate h im and try again the next day. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom