We got a really freaky chicken!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by silkieflock, Jan 22, 2010.

1. silkieflock

silkieflock Out Of The Brooder

Nov 13, 2009
    She is in perfect health and eats normally, I watch her eat and she is impressive. She uses her tongue!
    [​IMG]

2. BarkerChickens

BarkerChickens Microbrewing Chickenologist

Nov 25, 2007
    High Desert, CA
    Holy moly her top beak is long!! [​IMG] You lay want to consider taking a file to that puppy before it causes issues with her eating (or pokes an eye out![​IMG] ). [​IMG]

3. silkieflock

Nov 13, 2009
    Do they make something that is faster than a file to cut a beak off? I want her to keep laying. [​IMG]

bandsaw?[​IMG]

4. OverEggstended

OverEggstended Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2010
    SW Washington State
    We use a dremel for dog nails and parrot beaks when really needed (we have a blue crowned conure that gets a razor point on his beak!).

5. jeslewmazer

jeslewmazer Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2009
    Mississippi
    If you are careful you could try nail trimmers but if the beak is to thick try dog nail trimmers and keep her calm and only a little at a time so not to crack the beak. If you can cover her eyes that might keep the stress down.
    This is only a suggestion and if you are unsure about it then don't do it. I'm sure there are other methods but I don't know other than filing.

6. silkieflock

Nov 13, 2009
    what kind of wheel do you use? diamond?

7. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    You can use a dremel tool with the sanding bit. Just take off a little so it does not bleed. Wait a couple days and allow the bloodline to recede a bit then take off some more and repeat that process until you have it at a normal length. Have some bleed stop powder handy in case you nick the bloodline because it will bleed like crazy. Poor girl.

8. OverEggstended

OverEggstended Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2010
    SW Washington State
    Yep, sanding bit.

Remember that dremels get warm... and beaks are very sensative. So I agree that doing a little at a time is good.

Word to wise... use corn starch to stanch bleeding on birds... steptic powder is toxic to them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by