We got a really freaky chicken!!

silkieflock

In the Brooder
10 Years
Nov 13, 2009
She is in perfect health and eats normally, I watch her eat and she is impressive. She uses her tongue!
44472_100_5866.jpg

Holy moly her top beak is long!!
ep.gif
You lay want to consider taking a file to that puppy before it causes issues with her eating (or pokes an eye out!
tongue.png
).
hide.gif

Do they make something that is faster than a file to cut a beak off? I want her to keep laying.
hide.gif

bandsaw?
woot.gif

If you are careful you could try nail trimmers but if the beak is to thick try dog nail trimmers and keep her calm and only a little at a time so not to crack the beak. If you can cover her eyes that might keep the stress down.
This is only a suggestion and if you are unsure about it then don't do it. I'm sure there are other methods but I don't know other than filing.

You can use a dremel tool with the sanding bit. Just take off a little so it does not bleed. Wait a couple days and allow the bloodline to recede a bit then take off some more and repeat that process until you have it at a normal length. Have some bleed stop powder handy in case you nick the bloodline because it will bleed like crazy. Poor girl.

Yep, sanding bit.

Remember that dremels get warm... and beaks are very sensative. So I agree that doing a little at a time is good.

Word to wise... use corn starch to stanch bleeding on birds... steptic powder is toxic to them.

Back
Top Bottom