We got the girls today, what can we expect from these breeds?

BYOChickens

In the Brooder
9 Years
Dec 23, 2010
So we loaded up the family and went to the local feed store and got the chicks today. Can you tell us what we should expect from these breeds. 2 black sex links, 2 Rhode Island Reds, 1 Americauna, 1 barred Rock, 1 New Hampshire Red. What can we expect for their personalities? How much egg production? Hardy Hens? We have them under a heat lamp in a very large tub. How long until the will start to feather out? How long until we can move tghem outside to thier chicken coop. How fast do they grow? Any info on these breeds will be appreciated. How soon do they outgrow the 50 Gallon tub I have them in? Thanks for the answers

Your "Americauna" is 99% likely to be an EE. They're very hardy and generally calm and quiet. They're something of a mix bag though, there's just so many different breed combos that can go into them...

Edit add: I get between 5-6 eggs a week from each of my ladies (all EEs). They will tend to keep laying through winter but they have a reputation for being 'tempermental' and stopping for random reasons/no reason. And I LOVE having green eggs...

Last edited:
first
welcome-byc.gif
Just to be clear since you got your chicks at a feed store your Ameacuana is and easter egger which means she can lay anywhere from a blue, green or pink egg. All these breeds are great egg layers they should start laying some where between 5 to 6 months old. I put my pullets outside at around 3 months they should start getting feathers about 2 weeks of age. When you move them outside keep them locked in the coop with food and water for a few days just so they know to sleep there. Or you might have to show them each night for a while. You will find each chicken will have their own personalty and do something to make you laugh. I love barred rocks they are such great chickens. Have fun with you new chicks and welcome to great thing of chicken math.

Americauana's are EE's. They can lay any color egg. Pure Ameraucana's (note, no I) you have to get from a breeder and only lay blue eggs. Both are great to have, so don't feel ripped off, many of us have been there. (myself included)

My EE is one of my best layers. (she lays green) She also will fly up onto my arm for treats.
Black sex links are crosses designed to lay LOTS of eggs.
Barred Rocks lay nice large eggs, they are friendly but not cuddly.
Rhode Island reds and New Hampshire Reds are great layers as well.

All are hardy. If you live in a really cold area, they may get frostbite. In their coop, make sure their roosts are wide enough that they can cover their feet with their feathers. (so they don't get frostbite on their feet)

They should be fully feathered by 6 weeks old.

And
welcome-byc.gif

First night went smoothly after the power went back on. Big storm hitting west coast and power went out for a few hours. The misses filled up some bottles with hot water to keep the heat up. Power came back on. Mom's, bless them, they just know how to mother! Oh well, kids are happy as larks and seem to be running around the box.

The feed store where we got these birds also gets in 5-6 mos old hens. There latest batch were Rhode Island Reds crossed with something else. They were all red in color. Thinking of maybe getting 2 to start seeing eggs now while waiting for the chicks to grow. Any thoughts...?

Quote:
I have decided that the only bird worth having is a bird I raised from a chick..... I tried buying older birds - peafowl, chickens, guineas - and they just do not ever develop the wonderful personalities that birds you raise from a really young age have. Of course, that is just my experience.
smile.png

If you are new to chicken keeping, then I'd say just stick with the chicks. Integrating chickens of different ages can be difficult. The older ones will bully the younger ones to establish their new pecking order. And you shouldn't put them all together until the chicks are about the same size as the older ones.

I have a black sex-link pullet that hasn't started laying yet but is a sweetie! She will climb onto my arm without any motivation from treats! I love all my chickens but she is especially friendly. Good luck to you and your chicks!

Those are all good, hardy breeds--remember this next winter when you're tempted to add heat to their coop--they won't need it. Also expect them to start laying in late September and they may surprise you by laying earlier but don't count on it. Enjoy.

Back
Top Bottom