We have a problem, the neighbors got a new dog. Update: now kids

Status
Not open for further replies.
We have neighbors that "occasionally" have a dog. It never lasts long because they let it run loose and it gets killed, runs away, etc. The neighbors also not very approachable, thank goodness are also not "close" - about 1/4 mile from neighbors each way. They have had big dogs that end up in our garage tearing stuff up, little ones that poop on our deck, but none since we have had chickens....just sort of waiting for the next one. Our last idea, although we never got to do it before the last one "disappeared", was also to paintball it and send it home with a green butt. Unmistakable message - your dog has been off property - at our house - is not welcome - needs to stay home.

deb g
KY

Quote:
thumbsup.gif

I don't get dog problems but once in a while I get neighbourhood cats. Aside from chucking pebbles at them I once kicked one so high it landed in a tree
wink.png
It was attacking a week old chick so I think I was justified in my actions.

What a pain in the neck. If they are not nice people, I wouldn't bother trying to talk to them. I think it would just draw attention to you, and if they feel that their animal is threatened, guess what - your animals are right there. Take that dog to the pound (do you have to leave your name when you do this?), or make it "disappear". Whatever you chose, stay anonymous!

I warned one neighbor with a frequently loose dog that my mule will kill it if it comes in the yard (true)

I told another neighbor that I didn't want to see anything happen to his dog, so I'm letting him know that I put rat poison down (not true)

Both worked.

DO NOT shoot a dog with a paintball gun. If that gets traced back to you, you will be in trouble for animal cruelty.

Obviously, don't try to discharge any kind of a gun (even a paint ball gun) around/ in front of children. You will end up on the wrong side of the law and piss your neighbors off to the point of retaliation.

I suggest talking to the kids (since they seem to be out with them) and asking them to keep their doggie on a leash because it's not safe for him to be running loose and he hasn't learned yet like their older dog that he's not supposed to run away and chase things yet.

It's worth a shot.

In the likely inevitability that they won't be able to do anything about the dog, if you can catch the dog and let Animal Control pick it up (or deliver it to them), that's ideal.

SSS'ing is a last resort in my book, but sometimes necessary.

If there is a dog bothering my chickens and the person knows and doesn't care the dog is gonna get his head blowed off no matter who is watching. If the owner won't do anything, and since in most cases animal control never even comes out I usually have to shoot it, but I don't respect the last s in sss. They deserve to know where their dog went and why. They can retaliate all they want, but I am within my rights to shoot it if it is bothering me. Even if they do something back they're not getting far because I can call the cops or take care of it myself while being legal and fair. The next time you see it on your property either shoot it or take it to the animal shelter yourself and tell them why it needs to be there.

That dog is a basenji, they have a very high pray drive so watch out. My neighbors have one, that has already killed one of her sisters chickens. Luckily her chickens are closer than mine. Good luck with that. I don't like killing dogs, try talking to the owner first.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom