We just hatched our first chick...please help

jammen21

Hatching
6 Years
Feb 16, 2013
Our first baby chick hatched a few hrs ago... What now. I left her under the mama chick will she be ok? When is it supposed to start eating, drinking? Is ok that it stays outside with mama chick?

She should be just fine under the mama. I love when a chick hatches with a mama, she teaches them so much more than they learn from me in a brooder!

I think they'll venture out soon, whenever she thinks the baby is ready, and she should protect her from the other chickens if they're all together. Just keep an eye out, if you see them starting to pick on baby, make sure mama intervenes.

Baby chicks can go for 3 days living on the yolk. They are usually drinking after a day or two, but they don't have to. Do you have any chick starter for her to eat?

Thank u so much I was worried...n yes I do have chick started. I did see the mom kinda pecking at her a little earlier but then she stopped is this normal?

Maybe she was trying to dry her or peck shells? When I hatch chicks, they peck each other - I don't know why.

You don't have to put food out until you see them out and about - try to put is somewhere the other hens won't steal it.

Back
Top Bottom