We lost another chicken UPDATE: EVERYTHING IS BACK TO NORMAL

I've read most of the other threads about your issues and the loss of chickens over the past few months. I'm sorry to hear you are having so many mysterious deaths. In the other threads it looks like you have dusted them for mites (what with?); treated them with Wazine (for how long?); and given Sulmet (for how long?). Any other meds, antibotics or treatments given?

You also mentioned that they freerange (how often?) and there were several references to bringing them the feed bucket. Do they have food available at all times? 24/7? If not, they should. You mentioned the ones that died were very thin.

At this point, I would confine them all (no more freeranging); provide good healthy food and clean water at all times; and eliminate all meds.

It could be any number of things - as has been suggested - possible mold or contamination or poison they are getting into - or - possible over medicated.

Get them back to the basics and watch them carefully. Also, please try and get one of the deceased birds tested.

Try calling the state again. They should have called back by now. Let them know that you have birds dying, and need help NOW. And keep calling until you find someone who will listen. You can also go through your county extension agent. Here is a link to the FLorida State Vet. http://www.doacs.state.fl.us/ai/diroffice/dir_main.shtml

Here, try this: http://www.doacs.state.fl.us/ai/labs/lab_sub_hints.shtml

I
agree, if the grass they have access to was treated with chemical weed killer, fungicide or pesticide, they could be ingesting poison. I actually doubt that they ate plants that are toxic in and of themselves--birds are pretty immune to most toxic plants, and seem to know which ones to not eat.

Try following Ruth's advice.

So sorry for your losses!

We have a plant that has beautiful purple berries this time of year. It grows low to the ground and I understand the berries are poisonous. I have a friend who has had chickens for years and he attributes two of my hens dying to the berries. We're not too far from you, so you might have them there in Lutz.

It's just an idea - I wish I could be more help to you.

Quote:
I let them free range one time every month (have not done it lately). No lawn sprayings. Nobody has put poison in their yard for weeds or anything. No poisonus plants or bushes. My girl was acting up before she went in the bush. I saw her wobble in there so that is why I went over to get her and because she was on different property.

Quote:
I let them free range once a month. We have not given them any other meds. They have food and water 24/7. I check every 2 hours when I am home. The dust we dusted them with was call Hi Yield (5%). The food bucket is just treats for them. They have layena 24/7 and when it is cool I give them scratch too.

geeesh Maxx, this sucks! I really hope you find out what is doing this. Did the extension office call you back yet? This is concerning and i hope you find the source for the future.
hugs.gif

we are here for you!

Back
Top Bottom