We lost our first girl today.

I am so very sorry for your loss. I am only on an acre and my flock only gets “supervised” freerange time. Still a risk, I know. Would you consider a livestock guard dog, like Great Pyranees? Not sure how livestock guard dogs work when tbe prefator is a dog, but might be worth lookinginto if that worksfor you.
We have Lila but she's a house dog - out a lot during the day unless it's rainy and cold like today. John and I did talk about the possibility of an outdoor livestock dog this evening - we plan to get a few young pigs and calves in the spring. Our dogs did catch and rough up one of the offenders today, but too late. - totally out of character for my two dogs, but I did yell "get them."

Last edited:
So sorry for your loss. Yes, we get attached to them, and feel the loss. I agree, one warning to the owner, that's all. Yes, an electric fence, done correctly, will deter most animals, including dogs.

Awww... what a special girl. Again, I am truly sorry for your loss. It’s amazing how they steal our hearts. I had no idea, either, before I had chickens of my own how lovable they are. They continue to amaze me. I cried many times over my first (and only, so far) loss. Totally devastating. Put me into hysterics. My heart aches for you. Please honor her by remember the good times. Big hug.

Sorry for your loss If your worried you will not be able to maintain composure don't confront the dog man. And even if you think you can. Call animal control and file a report . Stray dogs are a national problem but more so here in the south . We pay taxes to have the law handle these kinds of problems for us . If you don't have animal control call your local police or sheriff .As my lawyer would say no contact . Once a dog gets the taste of fresh blood there is no stopping it or redirecting it . Not one that is considered a stray . Who is going to work with it ?They have become predators and must be dealt with . When they get really wild nothing small is safe from them . It would be nice to be able to confront the person who caused the problem to start with . Not the kind soul that is trying to help these poor dogs. His is just a do gooder who doesn't have a clue the dog he is trying to help is a real problem .And a possible threat to small children and pets .Operate within the limits of the law. not all states are equal on laws regarding this matter . Its best to know what the local law is regarding stray dogs before you act . Until it is resolved 24/7 chicken security. Good luck

Toate:

Electric fences do not harm chickens. They get shocked like all the rest, which teaches them to stay away from them. They stay on one side, the predators on the other. The shock treatment established the boundary neither wants to cross. Done right, it is a violent, painful shock, which is why it works so well. Once they get a dose of that kind of pain, nothing wants to experience it again......so they leave it alone.

You want an experiment? Get out a dinky little 9 volt battery....the kind used in some toys and small radios........it will have both the positive and negative terminals on top. Touch those to your tongue and feel the shock. Pleasant? No it is not. Now consider the voltage on a hot electric fence is 1,000X that. Imagine touching that with your nose or tongue. Normal response is an involuntary YELP!, followed by dog or varmint racing off towards the horizon, never to come back. No shooting, no confrontations with neighbors, no reason to get animal control involved. Just quiet, peaceful enjoyment.

The advantage of an electric fence is it is always on guard. Click, click, click. Second by second, minute by minute, day by day, week after week, month after month. Always there.......24/7. Except for that barely audible.... click, click, click.......a silent sentinel just waiting to dish it out.

We decided to keep the run locked so when the automatic coop door opened the chickens were trapped in the run.

Good thing, because the dogs were back at dawn, trying to dig through and under. The chickens uproar (from within the run) alerted us and John and our dogs chased them off. Need to find and get our security cam set up, and an electronic fence as we can afford to. Will start with a smaller area and expand as we can.

Our duty is to protect them 1st, and give them the best living experience (free range) 2nd.

Last edited:
I am so sorry. It angers me to hear stories of irresponsible pet owners. Not only are they endangering others animals it is a danger to their own to let them run free like that. I can't let my chickens be completely free range due to neighbors dogs. I bought some inexpensive livestock panels (they are light weight and easy to move) and fenced off a large section in our back yard. I usually let my girls out there for 4 or 5 hours a day. However, the neighbor cat has now decided to come over and chase the chickens. The cat knows it's not welcome at our house, but it still ventures over there every now and then...

I would not have believed I could love a little chicken this much. I would never have thought a chicken could be so lovable. I've cried several times today about her, especially this last time I checked to see if she had somehow come back to the coop after dark.

She followed us around like a puppy and always tried to get into the house with us. She nibbled gently on any party of you she could reach. She touched noises with Lila. She's the RIR nearest Lila the dog.

View attachment 1176267

I am so very sorry for your loss! Sending hugs to you and the rest of your flock.

We decided on PoultryNet from Premier1Supplies when we bought our farm this past summer. It can be easily moved around for rotational pastures and if set up properly, packs quite a whallop ... I may or may not have tested it myself. With my boots off. I was dizzy the whole rest of the day with a splitting headache and that side of my body was tingling. Apparently it was hot enough and guineas are just sooooo stupid that repeatedly throwing themselves headfirst into the live fence seemed a better way to get back into the pasture rather than simply flying over it. (On a completely unrelated note, anybody want some guineas? Brains not included.)

Guineas aside, all the other critters on our farm (including a Maremma LGD, sheep, turkeys, ducks, chickens, house dogs and occasionally friends' dogs) touch the fence once, get a good zap, and then stay clear of it.

Back
Top Bottom