We Now Have A Garage Chicken...

ReeceFamily

In the Brooder
Sep 23, 2016
We have a bantam hen (Big Mama is her name) that got pretty beat up with our other flock. I pulled her and put her in a rubbermaid container in the garage and it seems she will be there until spring. I am surprised she survived the first night. Every time I try to put her back with the flock she is shunned and chased. The problem is she is pooping everywhere and our garage is our kids play area and my workout space. What kind of container should I get to keep her in for the next few months? We are really attached to Big Mama.

How large is your coop? When I have a bird who is being bullied, I place them in a cage or dog crate inside the coop, where they can see each other but do no harm. Place food and water there also, and clean pine shavings. Chickens do not like being alone, and they may eat better near others. Is the bantam hen new to the flock, or has she been acting sick? Does she have any injuries?

I dont know the size of the coop but she was introduced slowly with her same age "sister" chickens. All of her "sisters" have done well. There is a group of older ladies that are the ones that pick on her. The coop might be a bit small but we cannot expand it at the moment since husband is gone most of the time. It will be bigger once we open up the nesting boxes since we have them closed off since the oldest group isnt laying yet. We have at least another 4 weeks until they start laying.

I dont know the size of the coop but she was introduced slowly with her same age "sister" chickens. All of her "sisters" have done well. There is a group of older ladies that are the ones that pick on her. The coop might be a bit small but we cannot expand it at the moment since husband is gone most of the time. It will be bigger once we open up the nesting boxes since we have them closed off since the oldest group isnt laying yet. We have at least another 4 weeks until they start laying.

She was injured (bleeding from her neck and leg) but was also having her tail feathers picked off. I washed her and sprayed her with some stuff. When I do place her back out there she just hides by herself and we are in the middle of winter here in upstate NY.

She was injured (bleeding from her neck and leg) but was also having her tail feathers picked off. I washed her and sprayed her with some stuff. When I do place her back out there she just hides by herself and we are in the middle of winter here in upstate NY.

Watch for more chickens to lose tail feathers. If the area is too small that is the first thing you will notice, when confined to too small and area disputes arise. Make areas where then can no see each other and feel alone if you can. (straw bales. plywood, pieces, and consider opening the nesting area early. If laying is just 4 weeks away they need time to explore the nest boxes anyways..

Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom