We think it's time and desperately need some guidance.

paulinaydern

In the Brooder
10 Years
May 23, 2009
:(Our 9 mo. old BBB family pet "Big Guy" has developed a pretty bad limp. He is also sneezing/coughing and not looking his normal self. He's laying down to eat which is NOT like him. He had to use his right wing to help himself stand up when we cleaned their pen tonight. His quality of life is deminishing and it may be time to pull the plug. He weighs WELL over 50 lbs. My DH says that Big Guy's breasts are bigger than mine! (no offense to any female readers, but it's true.)

Prior to his limp starting he walked like a sumo wrestler.

He has a female companion, the same age. She is doing fine. They both are free range during the day, in their pen at night.

We need some serious guidance as we have never been in this spot. I've had a pet turkey before that died of old age.

We know we have to cull Big Guy. We have a hunter friend who said he would do the deed although I'm being a softy here and am worried that Big Guy will be scared and we'll have no idea how he will be processed once he leaves our house. So, with that being said, I need a step by step process on how to process Big Guy from start to finish.

I've done a search on the board and come up with bits and pieces, but I what I need are instructions, 1-2-3.

Most of the posters here do this just like driving a car. This will be our first time behind the wheel.

Now regarding "Girl". She is happy, healthy, good weight. It doesn't seem right to cull her now. Will she be heart broken and constantly call out for her partner? She is super friendly, loves to be scrached under her wings and is a hog for attention. Will our extra attention as well as her hanging out with the dog be enough? Our hunter friend suggested we get her some chicks to brood over. (She's never shown any interest for mating with Big Guy. I was REALLY hoping for at least one batch of eggs.)

I have been reading this board since I was given these two turkeys for Mother's day last year. I'm hoping that someone can come to my rescue here and help me with this sad deed.

Thank you,
Paulina

This is the last photo I have of the pair, taken in Nov. "Girl" looks pretty much the same. Unfortunately Big Guy hasn't been so lucky.
10-306.jpg

Last edited:
Where did you get such a massive turkey? I only have a pair, but he just seems really overweight. I haven't slaughtered yet so I will hope you get an answer soon. Sorry he is ill!

We were very carefull not to over feed them, or so I thought. We gave the pair about 2 cups of layer scratch in the a.m. and again at night when we put them in their pen. They always seemed like they were starving, specially Big Guy, but we never gave them more. They cruised the yard from about 7:30 am till dark daily. It's a big yard and they seemed to make the rounds of it.

Like I mentioned, he walked like a sumo wrestler but never seemed to have any issues with getting around. He could charge the 6 mo. pup when he felt like it. The dog has great respect for both turkeys, although he does like to sneak up and gently mouth their tail feathers. It's funny to watch the turkeys put up with him, but when they've had enough the pup is quick to retreat.

Thanks for the reply, I too hope that we get some help soon as I want to do the right thing.

P.

I have Eastern Wild Turkeys. Maybe it's the difference in the breed. My boy is still skinny at 9 months old. How old was he when you got him?

Check your feed. Scratch is high in fat. Layer crumbles is more balanced. Scratch grain would make him obese if that is all they got. And it would make them always hungry due to the nutrient imbalance.

Last edited:
They were just a couple of days old when we brought them home. They have been handled quite a bit since they were poults, they have no fear or distrust of humans, they actually both seek out the attention and to be pet. I even took them to school for show and tell in Nov.

This may be getting a bit off topic here, but here are a few photos of him from the beginning.

DSC_0685.jpg

strut3.jpg

turks6-258.jpg

wed1st5.jpg

schoolvisit.jpg

Oct44.jpg

Last edited:
Awww what a cutie! I'm thinking it's the feed and maybe you could put him on a restrictive diet if you don't want to kill him.

It must be the breed then. My boy is nowhere near that big. Heritage take longer to grow out, but I didn't realize there was THAT much difference. Mine is 9 months too. What is BBB...I don't pick up on all the initials sometimes? Bronze something?

Maybe this will help, I found a site that has some pictures http://www.dingoroo.com/2008/12/how-to-butcher-a-turkey-at-home/ Otherwise a search on line using phrases such as 'process turkey' may come up with more for you. Breasts wouldn't have to be big to be bigger than mine, but I figure less to head south
wink.png

I am really sorry to hear about the big guy, that is tough (Cindiloohoo, BBB is Broad Breasted Bronze, BBW is Broad Breasted White. Commercial types, they can get big)

Why are you feeding layer feed? He doesn't need the extra calcium. I would actually recommend a good quality game bird maintenance feed. Turkeys have nutritional needs like a game bird, not like a chicken (and poults should be fed a game bird starter which has higher protien than chick starter). Best of luck! The killing will be the hardest part, in my opinion...

Quote:
BBB is a Broad Breasted Bronze. They have double the breast meat of a Heritage Bronze. They were breed to be large and grow fast and have lots of breast meat, the Tom's can go up to 50 Lbs or more. With luck and proper diet they can live 4 to 10 years. But Generally they are butchered at 20 weeks of age since the put weight on so fast the Skeletal system don't always develop at the same rate and they develop leg problems. Yes they can be very genital but are not meant to live very long.

They are meat Turkeys like the Cornish Cross is meat chicken.

Once they get leg problems it won't go away no matter what you do.

As far as fertile eggs with a Tom that big most likely they will not be fertile. With the double breast size he can't mate properly unless you artificially inseminate the female.

The hen could be paired with a Heritage turkey, if you check places like Craig s list, or the sale buy forum here you could possible find a companion.

Tom

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom