Weak baby quail

jas_x6

In the Brooder
Jun 15, 2023
Hi everyone I'm new here, nice to meet you all.... 3 weeks ago, my friend sent me some quail eggs and I tried to hatch them, there's only 2 egg that succes after total incubating of 16 days (it's hatched on 8 p.m Monday). I've read on Google and several forums which says that you should let them in the incubator for 12 hours or more until they're dry. My mom said that he's noisy at 1 a.m in the morning, but when I checked him at 6 a.m he seemed to be so weak and can't even stand at all.. So I hand feed him with formula mixed with some medicine and vitamin (vitachick, idk this is recommended by a nearby local bird shop), and he's getting better, he is also more active and also running around... He's doing good until last night, but this morning looks like he's getting weaker and keeps on sleeping, he's also not as active as yesterday... Am I doing something wrong? Is there any other way I can help the little guy? (I don't force feed him since he will eat the formula if I drop it on his beak, but he won't eat or drink any by himself).. Oh and I put him in my other incubator with ~95°F because he seems to shiver when I put him in the brooder box and I'm buying a bigger wattage light bulb thinking maybe 20 watt is not enough for him in the brooder box.... Any help and advice would be appreciated, thank you very much

Last edited:
Can you post pics?
What are you offering it for food?
Is the food small enough for it to eat?

Since it hatched on day 16, I'm suspecting that your temperature was a bit high during incubation, but that's usually not a problem.
Some chicks do fail to thrive, but let's see if we can help.

Can you post pics?
What are you offering it for food?
Is the food small enough for it to eat?

Since it hatched on day 16, I'm suspecting that your temperature was a bit high during incubation, but that's usually not a problem.
Some chicks do fail to thrive, but let's see if we can help.
I gave it some high protein & vitamin formula for baby birds.. I mix it with some water and he eat well everytime I feed him... Well, I incubate the eggs at around 100°F.. If I plan to force feed him using syringe, is it okay? (Because the last time I fed him, he doesn't really want to open his beak to eat). If yes, how much food can baby quail crop hold? Thanks...oh and I think I will upload the picture tomorrow morning because I don't want to bother it haha... And I forgot to mention that his size doesn't seem to increase from the day he hatch, this is not normal right...

Last edited:
Don't force feed it unless you really, really, know what you're doing. If it aspirated (breathes) any of it, it will die.

Is it not eating any of the food you're providing?
What are you feeding them?

If it hasn't been growing at all, that sounds a lot like failure to thrive. There isn't much you can do about that except what you're doing, but it may not make it.

Don't force feed it unless you really, really, know what you're doing. If it aspirated (breathes) any of it, it will die.

Is it not eating any of the food you're providing?
What are you feeding them?

If it hasn't been growing at all, that sounds a lot like failure to thrive. There isn't much you can do about that except what you're doing, but it may not make it.
Yeah I only plan to force feed as the last choice, because now he doesn't want to eat even if I feed him (he doesn't want to open his beak).. I put some baby chick food that I have blend before, but he doesn't even try to eat it, same goes with water... I have to hand feed him the food and water... Well I can only hope he survive, thanks for the advice anyway

Yeah I only plan to force feed as the last choice, because now he doesn't want to eat even if I feed him (he doesn't want to open his beak).. I put some baby chick food that I have blend before, but he doesn't even try to eat it, same goes with water... I have to hand feed him the food and water... Well I can only hope he survive, thanks for the advice anyway
What kind of chick food? If you're feeding it food for chicken chicks, it doesn't have the nutrition that quail chicks need. You need gamebird or turkey starter.

What kind of chick food? If you're feeding it food for chicken chicks, it doesn't have the nutrition that quail chicks need. You need gamebird or turkey starter.
Umm well on the packaging it writes that it is for young baby chick (day 0 - day 10) with high protein and vitamin for growth....

This is the picture of him, and he has some bald spot.. Is this normal?

Attachments

• IMG_20230616_075446.jpg
    IMG_20230616_075446.jpg
    200 KB · Views: 6
Umm well on the packaging it writes that it is for young baby chick (day 0 - day 10) with high protein and vitamin for growth....
What species of chick? All baby birds are chicks. The nutrition needs of quail chicks is different than the needs of chicken chicks.

What is the protein level of the feed? Quail chicks need 28-30% protein feed. If you are feeding them chicken chick feed, they are not going to thrive and will experience problems if they don't die.

Back
Top Bottom