Weak chick help!

Victinag

In the Brooder
Nov 7, 2020
Hey Y'all! Quick back story(I posted the entire back story, about the 15 eggs she has been sitting on and how I took 10 of them out of the fridge, on a whim, and put them under her. Go check that out for more info!) My broody silkie hen eggs started hatching Tuesday (1/26) by Thursday, all but 3 had hatched. One was pipping Externally, trying hard to to get out, we ended up helping it out a little bit. I waited a while, then checked for life inside the other eggs... nothing:( (I left them, checked again later, then removed them) -
Well that last little chick( #11) that hatched is getting left behind. He'll be 2 days old this afternoon. He's very vocal, but slow-moving and very wobbly, he can't stand up and run around like the other chicks- he kind of leans forward on his little legs and wobbles. Also, his eyes are a little watery. He seems fine otherwise. Just kind of slow and tires quickly. Everyone else got to follow Momma outside for the first time yesterday- and had a grand time- but he got left behind, so I brought him in. We have been keeping him warm and feeding him electrolyte water with a dropper. I haven't been able to get him to eat, though I've been more worried about hydrating. Once he has a few drops of water, he perks right up. I know it's possible he won't make it, but I can't just willingly watch him die, you know? Any advice is appreciated!

Hey Y'all! Quick back story(I posted the entire back story, about the 15 eggs she has been sitting on and how I took 10 of them out of the fridge, on a whim, and put them under her. Go check that out for more info!) My broody silkie hen eggs started hatching Tuesday (1/26) by Thursday, all but 3 had hatched. One was pipping Externally, trying hard to to get out, we ended up helping it out a little bit. I waited a while, then checked for life inside the other eggs... nothing:( (I left them, checked again later, then removed them) -
Well that last little chick( #11) that hatched is getting left behind. He'll be 2 days old this afternoon. He's very vocal, but slow-moving and very wobbly, he can't stand up and run around like the other chicks- he kind of leans forward on his little legs and wobbles. Also, his eyes are a little watery. He seems fine otherwise. Just kind of slow and tires quickly. Everyone else got to follow Momma outside for the first time yesterday- and had a grand time- but he got left behind, so I brought him in. We have been keeping him warm and feeding him electrolyte water with a dropper. I haven't been able to get him to eat, though I've been more worried about hydrating. Once he has a few drops of water, he perks right up. I know it's possible he won't make it, but I can't just willingly watch him die, you know? Any advice is appreciated!
Try feeding him egg yolk with a dropper. Its the last thing they eat before hatching and has always helped my chicks who are struggling for one reason or another. I did have one chick that was injured, but refused to eat unless she was with her mama. We ended up bringing mom and all 4 babies into an indoor brooder for about 4 days to get her back on her feet.

Oops. Sent that too soon:/ he's doing so well! He's a little slower and smaller than the rest, and tends to get left behind. I let him stay out there at night, but when I let them all out in the morning, he comes inside and snuggles with his froggy all day. He's eating and drinking and pooping and peeping( a lot and loudly🤣) I've discovered that one of his feet is different from the other, which may explain why he often seems off balance. I think, he'll just naturally get stronger as he gets bigger. Also I've named him(her hopefully) 'HeyHey' after the silly/ special chicken in Moana 🤣 he may or may not be snuggled in my hair, while I work on the computer🤣

Attachments

• 20210204_171208.jpg
    20210204_171208.jpg
    382.1 KB · Views: 6
They're doing good! We've had some nice warm weather in alabama( 72 yesterday 👀) so I've been leaving HeyHey out with everyone else all day and night. He's significantly smaller than the others, and doesn't move nearly as fast. But he's trying, and definitely getting stronger! I bring him in once a day or so to make sure he's getting "chick water" - which is just water with save-a-chick mixed in. I almost wonder if he's blind. His eyes seem fine, but when everyone wanders off he just kind of keeps doing his own thing even though they're all far away. Then he'll just lay down and take a nap wherever he is. He eventually catches up to them, but he's not in a hurry to do so🤣 sooo yeah he's good, just a little slow lol. It's storming today, so I brought him it to be sure he doesn't get wet and cold. When the weather is better I'll upload pics! Thank you for checking on him! Here's a link to the Tik Tok the kids and I made the other day heyhey was in my pocket, so he's not in the video
https://vm.tiktok.com/ZMeRqhbtu/

Back
Top Bottom