Weak chicken

lincaide

Hatching
Dec 11, 2016
Hi there, I have a one year old Australopithecus (?spelling) . I found her on Friday on deaths door so took her to the vet. He said she had egg peritonitis and gave her an antibiotic injection, fluid bolus and steroids. she wouldn't eat or drink so I was up every two to three hours tube feeding her. She is now more alert and eating soft food but seems like her left leg is all curled up and weak and she can't stand up. She just lays in my bath or crawls along. I don't know if she will get better or if it would be kinder to put her to sleep. She is very very thin now. Please help!

G’Day from down under lincaide
frow.gif
Welcome!

I am sorry that your girl is unwell. Sadly, I am not an expert when it comes to what ails chickens but if you post on the Emergencies & Diseases forum someone might be able to assist:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/10/emergencies-diseases-injuries-and-cures

I hope you enjoy BYC. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun. Unlike non chicken loving friends, family and colleagues, BYC’ers never tire of stories or pictures that feature our feathered and non feathered friends
wink.png

welcome-byc.gif

Sorry to hear of your hen's problems. Making the decision to keep her going or putting her down is something you'll have to decide for yourself, as tough as that is to do. Unfortunately, that's a decision most every chicken-keeper has to make at some point or another.

Good luck to you.

Hi and welcome to BYC but sorry that it is not under better conditions that you join us. I hope that you are able to come to a decision that's best for your girl soon.

Best wishes
CT

Hello there, and my warmest welcome to Backyard Chickens! I am so glad you decided to join the community and I do hope you will make yourself at home here! :frow

Back
Top Bottom