Weak duck collapsed with vomiting and green/black poop

The_spice_girls

In the Brooder
Oct 14, 2023
Good morning everyone,
We have a 5 month female khaki Campbell that suddenly collapsed last night. She was on the porch with our other 3 ducks (1 other khaki Campbell and 2 Pekins) eating the wife’s fern plant when we shooed them off, but Bella just sat there and could not walk or stand.
We brought her in the house in a plastic tote with pine shaving and gave her food and water with some rooster booster vitamins.
She did not poop at all at night.
This morning she’s able to stand and walk a little but is still weak. She also started pooping a slimy green/black and vomited a lot of gravel, along with her food.
I’ve also noticed that she shakes her head once after drinking. She normally does not do this.
They free range during the day with access to purina duck pellets and water, and go in their coop at night.
Currently using pine shavings as bedding.
Does anyone have any recommendations on what could be wrong with her? I did also find a large paint chip in her vomit. So maybe lead poisoning? Are these symptoms of toxicity?
She normally doesn’t let us touch her but she doesn’t seem to care right now, she just wants help.
I’ve included pictures of her poop and vomit.

These two are poop
IMG_0027.jpeg
IMG_0034.jpeg
These four are vomit
Vomit IMG_0029.jpeg IMG_0030.jpeg IMG_0031.jpeg Thanks!

Good morning everyone,
We have a 5 month female khaki Campbell that suddenly collapsed last night. She was on the porch with our other 3 ducks (1 other khaki Campbell and 2 Pekins) eating the wife’s fern plant when we shooed them off, but Bella just sat there and could not walk or stand.
We brought her in the house in a plastic tote with pine shaving and gave her food and water with some rooster booster vitamins.
She did not poop at all at night.
This morning she’s able to stand and walk a little but is still weak. She also started pooping a slimy green/black and vomited a lot of gravel, along with her food.
I’ve also noticed that she shakes her head once after drinking. She normally does not do this.
They free range during the day with access to purina duck pellets and water, and go in their coop at night.
Currently using pine shavings as bedding.
Does anyone have any recommendations on what could be wrong with her? I did also find a large paint chip in her vomit. So maybe lead poisoning? Are these symptoms of toxicity?
She normally doesn’t let us touch her but she doesn’t seem to care right now, she just wants help.
I’ve included pictures of her poop and vomit.

These two are poop
View attachment 3659336
View attachment 3659337
These four are vomit
View attachment 3659338View attachment 3659339View attachment 3659340View attachment 3659341Thanks!
Yes that sounds like poising
Can you get food grade charcoal ?
@Miss Lydia has the info on this

Here ya go, most of us keep Activated charcoal on hand just be sure to follow the instructions for these flushes
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/flushes-for-aiding-in-toxin-removal.700526/

I am so sorry she is sick
Thanks for the link!
I got ahold of some charcoal capsules.
I want to make sure I understand the dosage for charcoal. The whole 8 oz slurry needs to be administered per dose? So at 6-8 times a day, that would be 48-64 oz a day ... That seems like a lot to me.

Back
Top Bottom