Weak/dying chicks.

Frizzlett98

Songster
9 Years
Jun 22, 2014
Southwest Virginia
I just got chicks in the mail from Ideal Poultry today. It was a 3 day shipment that was supposed to be 2. We got a total of 19 but one died shortly after we got them home. We ordered 2 Silver Sebrights and one of them was the first that died. The remaining Sebright is not looking as good as it did earlier. And I have a Cochin that's about dead. I made it drink water and as soon as I set it down, it laid down flat without any motivation to walk back to the heater. There's also a red colored partridge Cochin (that is my favorite) that is no longer active. They just sit under the heater, and won't come back out. (It's the Brinsea brooder if anyone's curious. They appear to love it and, trust me, it's warm enough) I give them water every so often by hand with an electrolyte supplement in it. I also gave the weaker ones a tiny drop of Corid to counteract Coccidiosis if present. They arrived a day late which is no doubt a huge factor here. The Sebrights were a special order for my brother and now it seems like the last one's not going to make it either. Some of the weak ones will drink on their own but won't eat now. I've done everything I know and have experienced in the past but they keep getting worse. Most of them are doing great but I'd hate to lose any more.The odds are not in our favor. We ordered 10 straight run Cochins, and 2 Sebrights. We got Barred Rock males for warmth. We hoped to get 4-5 Cochin hens, 1 Cochin rooster, and a Sebright hen. We need all the numbers we can get! So, is there anything else I can do for them? Or just let time tell. I expected deaths, but I'm bothered because they seemed fine earlier and it seems to be only my favorites
he.gif

About all you can do to try to save them is to get them to dip their beaks into electrolyte water several times an hour all day long. I would recommend trying to get chicks from a closer hatchery if possible next time. I think chicks can really suffer in the postal system that long, and it has become slowere and worse in the last couple of years.Check your chick's vents for pasty butt daily and keep them cleaned off, since that is another problem at first. Sorry for your loss.

None have pasty butt. I've been giving electrolyte water and just recently switched to sugar water for a little while. We've got another getting weaker now but not quite as bad as the others. The Sebright perked up just a little. She's got her eyes open some instead of closed all the time and she's standing a little more but still not great. I haven't contacted the hatchery yet, since we've only lost one so far but I fear that's in my future. We've got 4 not doing so great. I've been giving them food through a syringe too.

Is it their necks that went limp? We had chicks who's eggs were pulled open. (school project)we didn't know at the time. And yeah I know what you mean by your favorites always going first. I really hope they recover.

Please keep us informed on how they do. I am expecting 6 bantam from Cackle next week. Your story makes me nervous.

We lost a Cochin overnight and another is not going to make it much longer. I give him an hour at most. We've separated him so he doesn't get trampled and we're just keeping him warm a this point. The Sebright and partridge Cochin are hanging in there, but still not much change from yesterday. They may be a little better from how I found them this morning, but I'm still not very optimistic about their survival. We've been pumping them full of water and I've been giving them food through the syringe. I've got a team of 3, my sister, mother and myself, giving them water every hour. I am surprised those 2 didn't get worse overnight. I'm amazed by their condition after not have food or water all night. BUT some good news! The others are doing fantastic! Eating, drinking, running out of the crate every time I open the door, jumping on me. We had a case of pasty butt, but it has been taken care of. It could've just been that it had poop stuck to it further down its rump making it appear like pasty butt (2 others were like this), but I didn't look very closely, and we cleaned him up anyway. We're going to call the hatchery today and tell them of our 2, soon to be 3, deaths and 2 weaklings. If they would've been here one day sooner, they'd probably all be alive, but they got delayed in shipping due to storms. But we'll never know for sure. If we lose our Sebright, we're going to order more from a closer hatchery, probably My Pet Chicken, although I do like Ideal. It wasn't their fault but a lot can go wrong over 1,000+ miles.

Last edited:
I believe meyer hatchery is where my pet chicken gets theirs. I dont know how close that is to you but since they come from meyer anyway i would order directly from them.
Unfortunatly i read alot of reviews just like yours from ideal. And thats why i choose to order from metzer farms instead.
Im sure lots make it okay. But they had too many bad reviews for me. I hope they make it right with you.
I hope your last seabright and your cochin make it!! Glad your others are doing so well:)

Back
Top Bottom