Weak, Lethargic Duckling

saving grace

Loving Life
Premium Feather Member
Feb 2, 2021
Canada
Hi guys. I originally thought my duckling had sour crop and created a thread for advice, but now that I'm pretty sure it's not sour crop I'm making a new thread, since I'm not getting any answers on the other.

Here are the details: yesterday morning one of my 3-week-old ducks was acting odd - lagging behind from the other ducks, constantly chirping, acting weak in general. I also realized this one was half the size of the others. Not sure how I hadn't noticed before. I picked him up and looked him over for any signs of illness. I must have accidentally pressed on his stomach cause it spewed up some dark and foul-smelling liquid. That's why I thought it had sour crop, but it must be something else since he hasn't shown any other symptoms.

I isolated the duck with food and electrolyte water. He's very lethargic, mostly just sitting in one position. Yesterday he was pooping this loose white liquid, but today there was brown diarrhea in his box. He drinks lots of the water, but I don't think he's touched his food a bit.

I do supplement all the ducklings with niacin. One tablespoon nutritional yeast per cup of feed.

When I let him out of his box to walk around he just lifts his wings and slowly waddles. He's obviously very low energy and can't keep up with his siblings.

I was scared to leave him alone last night for fear he would die in the night, but this morning he's still alive and doing a little bit better than yesterday. He seems to have a little more energy, but still very lethargic and weak. He mostly just sits in one position and peeps lots. He barely even tries to run from me, though the other ducks are extremely shy and run from everything.

He was also breathing very heavily this morning, but stopped when I checked on him again.

Does anyone have any clue what could be wrong with him? Is there any way I can help him to recovery?

I did post on your duck thread. I can only encourage a vet visit since the duckling may have a infection going on and may need an antibiotic. I hope you can get him some help.

I did post on your duck thread. I can only encourage a vet visit since the duckling may have a infection going on and may need an antibiotic. I hope you can get him some help.
Sadly the vet isn't an option. :(

The duckling seems to be doing better. He has a lot more energy and actually tries to run from me now. He still won't eat though, and I just noticed that he's very bony.

Is there anything I can do to encourage him to eat? Maybe if I can get some sustenance in him he would have a chance.

I just wanted to come on here and let everyone know that the little duckling is doing way better now! :D

He started eating again and I took him out of isolation when he gained back all his energy. I don't have any clue as to what was wrong with him, but I'm just happy that he's thriving once again. I was sure for a bit there I was going to lose him.

He's still extremely small, though. He's about a third the size of the larger ducklings. He seems to do fine, even with the size difference. I keep calling it a he but I'm hoping it's a girl. I've grown a bit attached to this specific duck. :love

Back
Top Bottom