Weak, pale, dying hen but still eating, what's wrong?

Thanks, no, she's not really pooping all that much, she eats when I watch her, I thinks she's excited to see me & she eats a little when I'm gone, but her poop is about relative to the amount she's eating probly. It's not really runny either. She's getting tired looking. Tomorrow will be 14 days since I gave them Wazine, & I had just put her in isolation then, I was planning to give them all ivomec on the back of the neck tomorrow since the Wazine only gets round worms. Think that's too strong for her? I'm going to town to find some poly vi sol & coccidi tomorrow. I put apple cider vinegar in her water this morning & gave her some hard boiled egg & cottage cheese too. I have to get some groceries for sure. I've got some electrolyte powder for fram animals, but wasn't sure how to dilute it for a chicken. She stinks really bad too. I dusted her this morning, haven't seen any sign of critters. Also we live in Tennessee, so it's been pretty hot here. She doesn't have a runny nose or anything. I can't believe she's still alive.

Dexter's Girls :

...... I've got some electrolyte powder for fram animals, but wasn't sure how to dilute it for a chicken. She stinks really bad too. I dusted her this morning, haven't seen any sign of critters. Also we live in Tennessee, so it's been pretty hot here. She doesn't have a runny nose or anything. I can't believe she's still alive.

The electrolyte powder I use is formulated for livestock 120gal tanks I believe. I just dampen the tip of my finger and barely touch it to the packet - whatever powder sticks that is what I put in the water. You can use gatorade just as well though, and it will provide teh "sugar water" some folks highly recommend.​

Thanks, I'll skip the ivomec & do another Wazine then, should I treat her for cocci or wait & just do vitamins & hearty food?

do this.. really... Sulmet and Terramyacin together for 6 days on the sulmet 10 days on Terra... Mix as directed....It is good for a multitude of things.. Cocci and even baterial poisoning... LMK if it works.. My guess is your hen isn't really eating.. she is going through the motions .. Feed her solf egg bread and watermelon etc.. anything soft.. She should bounce back in a few days with this treatment if it is reasonably treatable. Do not worm a sick bird!!!!!

She could be laying internally, especially that breed. Could be nothing that can be done. I've been through this many times. They lose massive amounts of weight after egg material/infection builds up and clogs their abdomens and oviducts, even though they eat and drink and keep walking around. She may or may not have a bloated abdomen, but it can still be the same ailment.

How old is she? Has she laid an egg recently? This is a very common ailment for which there is no cure. The most popular hatchery stock, the Sex links, RIRs, Orpingtons, Wyandottes, Leghorns seem to get it the most. Of course, I have no idea if that is what is wrong with her, but it's one possibility. The only way you'll know is to open her up if she passes away.

OK thanks all, She was actually standing up waiting for me this morning, I put some chick vitamin powder & vinegar in her water, gave her some more smashed hard boiled egg/cottage cheese & some laying pelletts with scratch & grit in it. Her poop looks ok I think. No, she hasn't layed an egg & I've felt all around her, she had no meat & hardly any muscle, don't feel an egg & she doesn't seem swollen anywhere. I got to town, & got sulmet, safeguard paste, gatorade, polyvisol, & some 30% protein cat food. I'll soak that in some warm water & maybe put some polyvisol in it.
She is 2 yrs. old.

Two years old is the average age that internal laying starts. Many of mine who died from it had no discernible swelling in the abdomen, while others would fill with fluid and yolk/infection. All you can do is provide the best food and environment and wait to see. If nothing helps, then I'd be inclined to say it's internal laying/egg peritonitis.

Wow, that internal egg things doesn't sound good. I did get the sulmet & tetra going & gave her some red powerade on the side, as well as pellets & scratch. Got some poly-vi-sol in her. She is alot more alert & standing quite a bit looking around for a way out of her solitary confinement. She still is pale, tho not as much & her comb is still flat. She still eats & drinks especially when I'm watching her. I'd say not nearly as weak as she was. Hope she gets some meat on her, I will keep her confined. I have no idea if the others maybe weren't letting her eat. I've got my eagle eye on her. Thanks so much for all your help. You people are God's Helpers.

She is looking better, standing alot, not eating or drinking as much as I'd like to see, but getting a little color in her face & comb. I gave warm water soaked 30% protei`0n catfood with yogurt & poly vi sol in it for breakfast. I also gave her new water with tetra/sulmet combo & some regular laying pellets & scratch. She likes pecking out the corn, altho I don't know that it's all that nutritous, I've heard not to feed it to hens in summer when it's hot. So I turned on the window fan.

Back
Top Bottom