Webbed/attached toes...help

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Cocky, Apr 9, 2009.

1. Cocky

Cocky Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2007
    Georgetown, SC
    I got some Black copper Marans in the mail and out of three eggs 2 developed and only one hatched [​IMG] but now I have another problem. The one that hatched has two toes on his foot that attached together by a small ducklike webbing. Except that it is holding them so close together that the chick can't walk well. It keeps stumbling and falling.

What do I do?

I think I need to cut the webbing, but I am afraid the chick will bleed to death or something. If I do cut it what is the best way, and how can I keep it from bleeding badly?

Is sooner better or should I wait until the chick is older and stronger?

Any helpful thoughts are welcome.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2009
  2. B. Saffles Farms

B. Saffles Farms Mr. Yappy Chickenizer

Nov 23, 2008
    Madisonville, TN
    I would go ahead and do it now. Just take a razor blade and cut the part that needs cut. You can sprinkle some flour on the cuts to help with the bleeding. But the best thing for bleeding is to do it as quickly as possible, and then leave the chick alone. A nervouse bird bleeds much worse.

3. chickenman33

chickenman33 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 7, 2009
    Logansport IN
    dont wait till hees stronger, the webbing might bend the toes crooked if you wait a ling time, and may couse perminent damig , i say do it now [​IMG]

4. chickenman33

Apr 7, 2009
    Logansport IN
    sory, im not right this evning

5. chickenman33

Apr 7, 2009
    Logansport IN
    spelling wise,

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by