Week 7 opinions?

Greaner_pastures

Chirping
Apr 17, 2023
CT
My birds are week 7 tomorrow and i was wondering what people’s thoughts are on putting them out in the coop soon to get them acquainted to it. I’ve been extremely hesitant especially with the weather. They seem to have a tiny bit of down left so I figured I’d get some more experienced peoples opinions. They are barred rock and the temperature right now is 45-50 degrees. Nights getting a tiny bit cooler. I did manage to get a radiant heater plate for the coop but I’m just not sure if it’s enough. Their brooder is starting to look tiny and it’s 80 gallons.

Supposedly we are to have nicer weather end of this week and all next week but you can never truly be sure. It’s been on again off again raining here.

Thank you.

CF853737-4809-4059-BCB6-BE342537FF78.jpeg

Pretty girls! They look pretty well feathered to me, but I'm no expert. It doesn't sound like your weather is extreme enough for it to pose a problem. I've never used supplemental heat in my coop, and my (full grown) birds were fine even in the coldest part of winter. I think once their feathers are in they are sturdier than you think, but you do need to make sure they have adequate shelter from the rain (even in the run), and shade. My birds seem to like the shade, even on not too hot days.

Pretty girls! They look pretty well feathered to me, but I'm no expert. It doesn't sound like your weather is extreme enough for it to pose a problem. I've never used supplemental heat in my coop, and my (full grown) birds were fine even in the coldest part of winter. I think once their feathers are in they are sturdier than you think, but you do need to make sure they have adequate shelter from the rain (even in the run), and shade. My birds seem to like the shade, even on not too hot days.
Hey chipmunk! Thanks for the response. They definetly have adequate shelter. Maybe I’m just being to over protective?

Attachments

• 4B09F64A-3D65-4771-BAD4-C0C79E937522.jpeg
    4B09F64A-3D65-4771-BAD4-C0C79E937522.jpeg
    480.9 KB · Views: 1
Coop looks cozy! Can we see the run?

This link I feel explains it well:
https://www.purinamills.com/chicken...-8-week-old-chicks-moving-to-the-chicken-coop

It can help to have the heat off in the brooder for a few days to they acclimate a bit to ambient temperature and cooler nights, but I agree! I think they will really enjoy the extra space! It's probably time to push the girls out of the proverbial nest...

Coop looks cozy! Can we see the run?

This link I feel explains it well:
https://www.purinamills.com/chicken...-8-week-old-chicks-moving-to-the-chicken-coop

It can help to have the heat off in the brooder for a few days to they acclimate a bit to ambient temperature and cooler nights, but I agree! I think they will really enjoy the extra space! It's probably time to push the girls out of the proverbial nest...
image.jpg

Heats been off for a while now. The room they are in was staying at a pretty constant 75-80 cause I start my veggies in there also. I just need to add some gutter to the back of the coop to deflect the rain a bit away but besides that this is it.

They're well feathered and ready to go out! I'm a protective one myself, but I would have no qualms with those big babies.
When you see how happy they are in a bigger space you'll know you made the right decision!
Would you say even over night? Lol yea I’m like…extremely worried with these being my first birds ever, I just wanna do right by them and make sure they are happy and healthy.

Back
Top Bottom