Week old chick, floppy head, listless, silent chirping? Help!!

LDSmama

Songster
Feb 8, 2018
Logan, Utah

I hope someone can help me! This is one of my week-old chicks. Pretty sure she's an Egyptian Fayoumi. She's been doing fine, but this morning was just laying there. Picked her up, and her head is floppy. Eyes are closed, and she seems to be sleeping, but occasionally opens her beak like she's chirping, but no sound comes out. I've been feeding all the chicks water with a little sugar & salt in it, and Chick Starter from IFA. This morning I tried feeding her the water via syringe, and she will take it, but she won't eat anything.

Also, two nights ago, we found one of the chicks dead. Pretty sure it was a Buckeye, and it had been doing just fine. All of a sudden, it was dead, spread-eagled on the floor of the brooder.

All the chicks are inside, with a heat lamp over half the brooder box. Ideas?

And she's gone. No idea what's going on - I'm now down two chicks in as many days, and I don't want this to continue! What do I need to do to prevent this?

[QUOTE="How are the other girls doing??[/QUOTE]

The rest seem to be doing fine - standing, hopping around, chirping a bit, eating their food, drinking their water, etc. Sometimes cuddled under the heat lamp, sometimes out around the brooder. I just hope the two chicks didn't suffer too much, and that it wasn't something that will spread to the others.

Back
Top Bottom