week old chick with bumblefoot!

I don't know if this is true, but it has been my experience. I used to have sand in my chicken's covered run for years and they would all get bumblefoot. I treated them often for it but it would always come back. I thought maybe the sand was too abrasive for them to walk on so I added topsoil to the run about a year and half ago...Haven't had a problem with bumblefoot yet. I think the sand is too hard and coarse on their feet.

I agree. I think the sand might of caused the bumblefoot on PaintedFeather's chick to get worse, so you should probably put some bedding down for her, PaintedFeathers.

I agree. I think the sand might of caused the bumblefoot on PaintedFeather's chick to get worse, so you should probably put some bedding down for her, PaintedFeathers.
I did, I put a towel on top of the sand. But there is no way it was the sand to begin with, I had her literally only 12 hours before I noticed it. Most of the time she was sleeping. I did buy veterycin though.

I'm not saying the sand caused it, I'm saying that the lady's wire brooder floor most likely caused it and the sand just caused it to get worse. I'm not judging you chicken-keeping, everybody makes mistakes :D

Back
Top Bottom