Week old silkie chick keep getting pecked in the head

Diveks

Songster
6 Years
Jul 14, 2017
Indonesia
Ive recently hatched two silkie chicks out of 10 eggs. One of them really loves pecking the other one on the head, it had been happening since they first hatched, 4 days ago i noticed the one getting pecked acts really weird. He often tilts his head side by side weirdly like it was heavy or something. It usually happens when he is pecking at something like food or when he drinks. He also holds up his head weirdly at times. Anyone know whats wrong and what to do?

Can you post a picture of the silkie? It may have wry neck (torticolis) which can be caused by a head injury, a vitamin E or B1 deficiency, or can be hereditary. You may need to separate the picked on silkie with a divider in the brooder. Try giving some Poultry Nutridrench or Poultry Cell vitamins 1 ml daily orally slowly.

Can you post a picture of the silkie? It may have wry neck (torticolis) which can be caused by a head injury, a vitamin E or B1 deficiency, or can be hereditary. You may need to separate the picked on silkie with a divider in the brooder. Try giving some Poultry Nutridrench or Poultry Cell vitamins 1 ml daily orally slowly.
He does not always hold his head like that but he sort of moves it side by side slowly, its hard to see from a picture though.

He does not always hold his head like that but he sort of moves it side by side slowly, its hard to see from a picture though.
How did this chick do?
I’m having the same situation with my mottled showgirl Silkie ...

I treated for Wry Neck at 5wks of age until 7wks of age, just in case, but things didn’t improve much. — I’m thinking time may have helped it improve more than anything else…

It seems to me, that this chick does its “head-heaviness/head-wobbling” during times of stress. It definitely doesn’t happen all the time, which is great news for sure. Also, there are no issues with eating or drinking.

Back
Top Bottom