Weight Concerns

EggHead107

In the Brooder
Jul 20, 2016
Hello everyone!! I am having hesitations about my chickens weight, they seem to be on the thinner side. It is very hot where I live and I do not know if it has something to do with the heat or if it might be worms. Do you have to de-worm your chickens??

Hello everyone!! I am having hesitations about my chickens weight, they seem to be on the thinner side. It is very hot where I live and I do not know if it has something to do with the heat or if it might be worms. Do you have to de-worm your chickens??

I've found that mine don't eat as much in hot weather, so that could explain a slight weight loss. A good rule of thumb is to limit treats to no more that 10% of their daily intake. In summer fresh fruits/veggies and a small amount of sunflower seeds or mealworms would be a good treat.

Worms can also cause weight loss, so if you suspect that may be the cause, you can take a fecal sample to your vet to have a fecal float performed, they will be able to confirm whether or not your chickens need deworming. Some deworm once or twice a year, once during molt and once in the spring or when egg production is down since there is an egg throw away period.

Just My Thoughts.

Back
Top Bottom