Weight loss/very concerning

TheTwoRoos

Crowing
Sep 25, 2015
I have a quick health question.I have an Orpingtons who is over a year old who has lost an extreme amount of weight.The bird use to be fit, and great in health then suddenly she started having soem appearently problems.About 2 months ago I noticed the bird had a literal egg shell hanging out of her and she was sitting on the lowest roost almost as if she was in pain.I removed the shell easily and haven’t noticed another since then.Now skip a couple weeks bird has molted and has lost almost all of her weight, so noticed before the molt she was losing weight but I honestly didn’t think it was going to be this much of a problem, I thought it was going to by pass, but clearly it kept going.She feels like a walking skeleton with fetahers and I am not sure how to go about this, she also has lost her personality and sleeps on the flock of the coop at night seems very unenergized.Any tips on what could be going on?

The one little bit of information you slipped in tells practically the whole story of why she's lost so much weight.

A broken egg. If an egg happens to break inside a hen and no treatment is given to prevent infection from the yolk exposing the hen to bacteria, then a chronic reproductive infection is almost always the outcome. Infection, of course, eventually wears away the immune system and the result is chronic health failure, eventually leading to death.

You can try an oral antibiotic, but this late in the game, it probably will not be effective. It's almost guaranteed that the infection has made her sterile, as well.

How does yolk give the bird infection, they eat their own yolk sometimes, thank you for the info though, I didn’t know this happens

Back
Top Bottom