weightloss in a hen???

tornduff

In the Brooder
8 Years
Dec 13, 2011
I'm brand spankin new to BYC...couple weeks ago I had a chicken (Deora) that was choking on a piece of meat and I helped her swallow it by gently rubbing her neck. Anyway since then she has stopped eating meat all together and now she is acting strange. She is standing in corners and not too interested in food period. In fact I really haven't seen her eat much. When I pick her up she seems very light compared to my other chickens. I got 5 hens and 1 rooster this last summer. Everyone is getting along great, however I did notice on Deora, that her comb has bloody tips, but I haven't seen anyone else pick on her. Is there any one knows a clue of what going on

Usually when a chicken acts off the first two things that are suggested are checking them for mites/lice and checking them for worms. Probably because those are the most common things and are easily dealt with.
sharon

Quote:
Hi tornduff,

Welcome to the forum.

It seems to me that a couple of weeks time passing between the meat incident and the current problem with the hen would be enough time passage that the two incidents would not be related.

Is your weather particularly cold? Could the comb damage be related to frost bite? Perhaps the pain from the comb is putting her off her food. Have you considered isolating Deora in a pet carrier or seperate area so you can monitor exactly what she is eating? Hopefully you will find a cause and get her back into peak health.

It has gotten cold, I live in Houston, Texas so it doesn't get cold enough or at least I thought. It did happen out of no where and when we did have a "cold" snap. However, the other chickens do not seem to be affected by the weather too much. I have 2 heat lamps i in their coop where they roost for the night. It is also closed off from all wind. Do I keep her separated during the day only and let her roost with the others at night?

Back
Top Bottom