Weird Genes. Haha. I'm such a blonde.

I had a cross that I was certain would come out barred (father was a barred rock) and mother was a red sex link. I was shocked when I hatched out white chicks. All but one have been white.

:)

I had a cross that I was certain would come out barred (father was a barred rock)

smile.png
It's the other way around - Barred Rock females will produce barred chicks.

Last edited:
It's the other way around - Barred Rock females will produce barred chicks.
Barred rock males should for the most part produce barred females and barred males (1 copy of the barring to both male and female chicks) where the female gives only her sons the barred gene, making the boys appear lighter.

Only this hen gave me non-barred boys, and so far I've hatched over 100 birds from the same father. Cochins, buff orps, delaware, RIR, PR, SLW, etc, and all have turned out barred except the RSL as the mother.

I had a cross that I was certain would come out barred (father was a barred rock) and mother was a red sex link. I was shocked when I hatched out white chicks. All but one have been white.
smile.png

That means the red sexlink was half dominant white then, as this will(Dom. white) cover black which is what a Barred rock is, black with white barring.
wink.png

Jeff

The hen in ques. have white in the hackles wings and tail? This is because the Dominant white has a hard time completely covering red it will dilute it some usually to a buff/golden color, but it can and will always cover black. So see with the red sexlink taking after the father color of red columbian the white dilutes the red a shade or two and completely covers the black in the neck stripes, wing flight feathers, and tail feathers where they would normally be black on a red columbian colored bird. See just as simple as that, easy-peasy huh? LOL

Last edited:
That means the red sexlink was half dominant white then, as this will(Dom. white) cover black which is what a Barred rock is, black with white barring. ;) Jeff
Exactly :) Thanks to the wonderful educators here, I was quickly explained those genetic details :p Did not know it before. But she has also thrown barred chicks with the same rooster. Not all of her chicks were white. I've only hatched 4, and 3/4 are white.
_MG_4296.jpg
Male from the cross
_MG_4407.jpg
Female from the cross
_MG_4071.jpg
Barred chick from cross on the right.

Back
Top Bottom