Weird Genes. Haha. I'm such a blonde.

So what would this mean?
I am certain my barred chick is from my RSL hen, as her eggs can not be fooled with any of our other birds, and it was hatched by my broody. She only hatched two eggs, both from my RSL hen. 1 white, 1 barred.
what? it means most if not ALL ISA browns or red sex links are heterozygous(only one copy) for dominant white...

what? it means most if not ALL ISA browns or red sex links are heterozygous(only one copy) for dominant white...
@_@ In one ear, out the other. What would that mean for her offspring if bred to a barred rock rooster. Would dominant white affect all of the chicks?
_MG_2995.jpg
Here is the hen I'm talking about. She is in the grow out pen to recover from over zealous roosters. That's her son right beside her.

Did you notice the ghost barring in this white male?

Another question did any of the offspring from your BR over the RSL come out colored red/buff barred.

Jeff

Ok Isee that I'm late on my post you only hatched 2 from her than but the results are right on 50% barred and 50 % white that as close to right as can be.

I can get the picture to laod here its the fiirst one in you picture group axoa

Last edited:
Only if they are from a red male over a dominant white hen.

If the are a red male(gold gene) over a silver columbian (Col. wyandotte, SL wyandotte, Delaware, Lt. sussex) see the pattern here? they will look almost exactly like spitting images of the father with maybe some dilute to the red in the body plumage, but they will still exhibit the black columbian marking in the extremities neck hackle stripes, wing flights and tail feathers though. There are quite few different variants to red sex links not all are half dominant white.
wink.png

Jeff

Did you notice the ghost barring in this white male?

Another question did any of the offspring from your BR over the RSL come out colored red/buff barred.

Jeff

Ok Isee that I'm late on my post you only hatched 2 from her than but the results are right on 50% barred and 50 % white that as close to right as can be.

I can get the picture to laod here its the fiirst one in you picture group axoa
Yes I did notice that. I believe 2/4 are females and know that at least 1 is female and 2 are males. The two males are the barred black chick and the male with the ghost barring (it's a faint gold - very pale). The girl is almost a dirty white. Looks like she has been dirt bathing at all times. She should be a good layer though considering her parentage. The boy is very small considering how large the first girl is.

None of the them have been buff or red barred, though that would be neat! :)

The hen in ques. have white in the hackles wings and tail? This is because the Dominant white has a hard time completely covering red it will dilute it some usually to a buff/golden color, but it can and will always cover black. So see with the red sexlink taking after the father color of red columbian the white dilutes the red a shade or two and completely covers the black in the neck stripes, wing flight feathers, and tail feathers where they would normally be black on a red columbian colored bird. See just as simple as that, easy-peasy huh? LOL

LOL Im trying to get ahead of yall here.

Jeff

The hen in ques. have white in the hackles wings and tail? This is because the Dominant white has a hard time completely covering red it will dilute it some usually to a buff/golden color, but it can and will always cover black. So see with the red sexlink taking after the father color of red columbian the white dilutes the red a shade or two and completely covers the black in the neck stripes, wing flight feathers, and tail feathers where they would normally be black on a red columbian colored bird. See just as simple as that, easy-peasy huh? LOL LOL Im trying to get ahead of yall here. Jeff
IMG_0800.jpg
She has white in her hackles and tail. No black at all :) This is what every red sex link I have ever seen in my area looks like. That is easy peasy @_@ I feel dizzy lol Oh and someone mentioned possible leghorn in the blood.

Last edited:
IMG_0800.jpg

She has white in her hackles and tail. No black at all
smile.png

This is what every red sex link I have ever seen in my area looks like.
That is easy peasy @_@ I feel dizzy lol
Oh and someone mentioned possible leghorn in the blood.

It's easy peasy after you've studied this kind of stuff for a spell it becomes second nature. The fact of leghorn being in the back ground of your bird is more than likely yes. The ingredients for these type of production egglayers is a highly guarded secret as they would go broke if every backyard breeder in the world could produce RSL that lay 300+ eggs a year they would be outta business in no time at all. they(rsl) are a constitute of some sorta of leghorn cross I'm sure but what always gets me is how they get these production type hens to lay such dark brown(terra cotta) eggs 'cause normally a cross witha brown egglayer and and white egglayer results in a cream/offwhite result every one I ever crossed did this. so see they got a mix that people just think they know what they are made of. Lol we are easily fooled/amused in most ways, us humans. LOL

Jeff

Last edited:
It's easy peasy after you've studied this kind of stuff for a spell it becomes second nature. The fact of leghorn being in the back ground of your bird is more than likely yes. The ingredients for these type of production egglayers is a highly guarded secret as they would go broke if every backyard breeder in the world could produce RSL that lay 300+ eggs a year they would be outta business in no time at all.  they(rsl) are a constitute of some sorta of leghorn cross I'm sure but what always gets me is how they get these production type hens to lay such dark brown(terra cotta) eggs 'cause normally a cross witha brown egglayer and and white egglayer results in a cream/offwhite result every one I ever crossed did this. so see they got a mix that people just think they know what they are made of. Lol we are easily fooled/amused in most ways, us humans. LOL

Jeff
Yes, her eggs are very dark too! Some of my darkest :)

The hen in the background is actually polish (buff laced) x Silver Spangled Hamburg. :) She did lay almost as well as a leghorn until she went egg bound :/

My RSL lays every single day at the same time every day. She hasn't missed a day this summer at all. Still lays before 9 am. :) That enticed me to go get more RSLs - as I hate selling my hatching eggs for eating. I have 21 girls ready to help me out on that front. :D

Oh and this hen is 2 years old. Laid right through winter and even through a molt!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom