Weird head bump?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by nagleobr, Jan 27, 2016.

1. nagleobr

nagleobr Out Of The Brooder

Aug 24, 2015
    Hi,
    I noticed reccently that one of the chickens has a weird bump on her head above her eye by her comb. It has been growing bigger, but doesn't seem to bother her. She acts normally and looks healthy besides this. I have never heard of something like this and was wondering if anyone knew what it was, the cause, and if it is possible to treat. Any ideas? [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    It's possible that it is a tumor or cyst, but it also might be an abscess from a small wound or peck. Does it feel soft, or is it firm?

3. nagleobr

nagleobr Out Of The Brooder

Aug 24, 2015
    It's pretty firm, and she doesn't seem to mind too much when I touch it.

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    If it grows rapidly, I would worry about it being a tumor. Tumors in chickens are very common, especially with some diseases such as Mareks disease and avian lymphoid leukosis. Around the eyes and face, sometimes a respiratory or sinus infection can cause swelling. I would watch for any signs of that such as watery or crusty eyes, nasal drainage, sneezing, etc.

5. esapienza

esapienza New Egg

Jul 8, 2014
    Good morning,

I am wondering how your chick is doing? I have a chick with the same problem and am wondering how it will play out for her....

Hope it's resolved itself!

Best,
    Emily

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by