WEIRD or ODD Eggs pics!!!! :)

Pics
It depends on what feed you use. Layer feeds have added calcium to be fed to just layers.

I free feed a 20% protein flock raiser crumble to all ages and genders of my confined flock, and a separate free feed container of oyster shell mixed with dried and crushed chicken egg shell for the layers.
Much easier, IMO, to buy one feed and offer the shell...and the higher protein balances out with the 8% scratch grains, greens, meal worms, veggie and meat scraps.

I'm feeding them organic, non-GMO, layer crumbles & they have the run of our 2 acres. Plus they get mealworms, organic carrots & spinach everyday & tomatoes out of our garden when I have some ready. I also give them black oil sunflower seeds & a couple handful of rice most night as a going to bed snack. BTW, haven't had any more weird eggs - that's been the only one. Guess I'll add the oyster shells if I get any more. They are young pullets & haven't been laying all that long so hope it was just a 1 time thing. Thanks for the help everyone. :D

Quote: The anomaly in the egg you posted is not likely to be from a lack of calcium.....your layer feed probably has enough calcium.
Nor is the anomaly from a lack of protein but you might want to check the level of protein in your layer feed and realize that it may be being diluted by the other foods you are providing, depending on the amounts. I also like to supplement some animal protein in the from of meat/egg scraps in winter and summer because mine do not forage.

The anomaly in the egg you posted is not likely to be from a lack of calcium.....your layer feed probably has enough calcium.
Nor is the anomaly from a lack of protein but you might want to check the level of protein in your layer feed and realize that it may be being diluted by the other foods you are providing, depending on the amounts. I also like to supplement some animal protein in the from of meat/egg scraps in winter and summer because mine do not forage.

I just checked the label - it says 17% protein. But they're free range so they get bugs & lizards & whatever.

I haven't gotten any odd eggs in a long time until yesterday and I got one of the wrinkled ones with a flat side.

Last edited:
What is wrong with this egg? I found it outside I the nesting box on the coop floor. Could the same chicken lay these two eggs? She is the only one that I know is laying and she just started this week.

What is wrong with this egg? I found it outside I the nesting box on the coop floor. Could the same chicken lay these two eggs? She is the only one that I know is laying and she just started this week.

Looks like it doesn't have any shell on it. One of mine just laid one without a shell - think it was one of the pullets that hadn't laid yet.

I went to Tractor Supply yesterday & bought Oyster shell. Some of the girls were eating it this morning. That should help!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom