Weird poop: looks like cysts? (Picture included)

Orpingtons Mom

Crowing
14 Years
Jun 4, 2009
Fredericksb'g/Culpeper VA
Pooped about 5 minutes ago.

CFE4FED8-CFBD-4853-88BA-64CE907C37E6.jpeg

Yes, it is from a pullet. Thank you very much for your help. She is not laying, ( too young) however, and she was just treated for Coccidiosis.

The best way to go from here is a chicken vet?

What are those small round things?

Last edited:
It might be intestinal casings from cecal coccidiosis. At first I also thought it might be very tiny lash egg material from salpingitis. Did she have any blood in her poop with the coccidiosis? What did you treat her with?

Cecal coccidiosis with E. Tenella, can cause bloody casings of the cecal core lining. Here is a picture of one of the two ceca with bloody necrotic casings:
1608076734959.jpeg

If it's from salpingitis, it's from an infection of the reproductive tract. Bacteria is usually blocked from crawling up the oviduct from the vent, but it can happen.

I can't tell you for sure that's what the round stuff is from just a two dimensional photo, but if you cut into one of those, and it has a cheese curd texture, it could be chicken pus from infection.

If you have a vet, by all means have her looked at. And take those poop samples along so they can check them for coccidia and worms. That removes about 90% of the guess work.

It might be intestinal casings from cecal coccidiosis. At first I also thought it might be very tiny lash egg material from salpingitis. Did she have any blood in her poop with the coccidiosis? What did you treat her with?

Cecal coccidiosis with E. Tenella, can cause bloody casings of the cecal core lining. Here is a picture of one of the two ceca with bloody necrotic casings:
View attachment 2451018

No blood in poop with the Coccidiosis. Treated with Corid. She was looking a little sad today so I brought her in the house to the hospital.

She is eating, and drinking, and if you look at the picture, she had pooped a normal one (to the left) then the weird one.

I thought maybe sloughing off intestinal tissue,... shows you how much I know.:(

If it's from salpingitis, it's from an infection of the reproductive tract. Bacteria is usually blocked from crawling up the oviduct from the vent, but it can happen.

I can't tell you for sure that's what the round stuff is from just a two dimensional photo, but if you cut into one of those, and it has a cheese curd texture, it could be chicken pus from infection.

If you have a vet, by all means have her looked at. And take those poop samples along so they can check them for coccidia and worms. That removes about 90% of the guess work.

thank you . I’m contacting the vet tomorrow.

Back
Top Bottom