Weird things only poultry people get.

The kids next door think that the feet are talons.
YES! My brother is like 'they could KILL someone with their talons!" "They are VICIOUS!" So far the only person ACTUALLY scared of mine is my cat....I put him down next to the run, and all it took was one 'Bock bock BOCK" and he was out of there!

I was holding a chicken and someone was like, what if she lays an egg while you're holding her? This is at six in the afternoon.
According to my dad, his would occasionally lay eggs in flight... they apparently bounce...
I actually had someone the other day ask what the feet were reffered to as. "Hands?" "Uhhh, claws"
Walmart sells packages of chicken feet but they are labeled as "chicken paws" I got a good laugh out of that and took a picture the first time I saw that.

Ohhh and when I was in secondary school, everyone knew I liked chickens. (They all thought I was obsessed. (I was))

A girl in my class drew a picture of a chicken. With four legs. She genuinely thought they had four legs. I had to kindly correct her so she didn't get a shock much later.
FOUR legs!?
Chickens -- birds, period -- are bipeds!
Smack my head....

I had a 2 year old cornish X girl who was laying eggs so she had had a large comb and someone was like that’s a nice rooster. I said thanks and she is actually a hen and they were like “no that’s a rooster” and I had to show them her eggs and showed them my rooster to show her the feather difference and they finally believed me :lau
I've had over 30 breeds and at one time I had 17 breeds simultaneously, some fairly obscure breeds. Some males and some females. I posted some pictures on our local chicken meetup group page. One picture had a young Ancona pullet and a guy who was fairly knowledgeable asked what breed that black and white speckled cockerel was. He couldn't believe the huge red comb belonged to an immature pullet.

I got into a discussion that became heated with an elderly woman who grew up on a farm and owned a produce market. We were discussing my chickens and she declared that brown eggs tasted so much better than white eggs. :eek:
I told her there was no difference and the taste was determined by what the chickens ate, not by the shell color. She couldn't accept that fact. I assume she grew up with free range brown egg layers and when she moved to the city, all she had available were white factory farmed eggs and she held that belief all her life. When I offered to bring her a white, green, tan and dark egg for taste comparison from birds that all had the same feed and all free ranged, she ran me out of her store.

Ohhh and when I was in secondary school, everyone knew I liked chickens. (They all thought I was obsessed. (I was))

A girl in my class drew a picture of a chicken. With four legs. She genuinely thought they had four legs. I had to kindly correct her so she didn't get a shock much later.
Same. I have been "the kid obsessed with chickens" (and rabbits) since seventh grade.

I have had many people think they were dead and I was scared they had a something growing outta them when I first discovered the oil gland:oops:

To this day after nearly a lifetime with chickens I still get startled at first when I see a flattened out chicken on the ground. Maybe I've just found too many dead chickens from attacks to ever get complacent.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom