Welbar using a cuckoo maran?

mycountrygirls

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jul 28, 2011
Virginia
I've been wondering if I can create some Welbars using a cuckoo maran instead of a barred rock. I realize there is a difference in theappearance of the barring, but will the cross still produce similar results (I guess techinically it wouldn't be a Welbar...)? I'm just wondering because I have some cuckoo marans hens, but no barred rocks. Is there another term for the cross?

Haha, maybe it would be a Welmar? I'm interested not only in autosexing, but I think Welbars are pretty and unique looking. And yeah, those dark eggs and hopefully good layers! I'm confused though, would it be only the first generation that is autosexing, or could I make it breed true AND autosexing?
This is what I've read, if I understand right-
Welsummer Roo x CM hen = f1 cross
f1 cross roo x welsummer hen = f2 cross
f2 x f2 is autosexing and breeds true????

Or do I have no clue what I am talking about?
big_smile.png

Quote:
you are close but not quite there yet..

let me try to explain, any true breeding(Homozygous/Hemizygous) Barred or Cuckoo breed can be sexed at hatch with a good amount of acuracy, not just welbars, barred rock, cuckoo marans, etc..

what is the purpose of your breeding? autosexing dark egg breed? Cuckoo Marans are what you are looking for,

why? Sex link Barring genes

The males and females hatch with white spots on top of their heads with the male spot being larger and less sharply defined. Also, the females tend to have darker shanks because the B gene is an efficient inhibitor of shank color. These two traits, based on the B gene dose effect, allow sexing of day-old chicks with a high accuracy rate

I want some Rhodebars or something similar. I love the looks of the red barring, and the autosexing would be a real plus. I've been researching and it looks like they were created by crossing a Barred Plymouth Rock rooster with a Rhode Island Red hen. I have a Cuckoo Maran rooster and Rhode Island Red hens. Will this cross work too?

Quote:
Cuckoo Marans hens and Barred Rock hens both have 1 gene for barring, so technically it's the same. You could also use Cuckoo Marans hens with a Black Copper Marans rooster to not only keep the dark eggs but also keep the 'breed' pure.

Quote:
Welsummer roo and CM hen would produce barred male chicks and solid female chicks. Crossing a barred male over a barred female (your F1 cross) would only result in barred chicks. If you get barred pullets from this cross, you could use them in an F2 cross, but it would have to be with a solid roo. You will not get solid-colored males using a barred hen as the hen ONLY passes the barred gene on to her sons.

Back
Top Bottom