Welcome to my pond - Swim, wade, or sit on the bank

Matron sounds old.......

momma sounds like you are super duper nice and sweet, and caring.........

BWOCK!!!

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

I seriously tried to get that out with out laughing......

glad I work the chain mail turtle neck today.

Is Berts clucking?
D.gif

I know that sound! Years ago we had a couple on probation for domestic violence. She finally ended the relationship by stabbing him with a steak knife in the neck.

sickbyc.gif

BTW: Thanks for the rain you sent our way!

morning sour, thanks.

someone has been reading the flashing signs too much off of 59.......lol

you and me both.......it's slowing down my projects. lol. I think I'm ready to add another project pen. Blue egg laying sex links!

TAAAAADAAAAA!!!!

lol, actually I'm really excited about the possibilities, with blue egg layers.

Ravyn or Walnut, a white leghorn hen, with a CLB or AM roo, give me light blue eggs? I think so, if I have understood what I've read, but would appreciate ya'll's take on it.(this isn't part of the blue egg laying project, but may be the project ofter.)

All I can say is that most of my Easter Eggers that hatch out in a solid color have bluer eggs than those that hatch with wild pattern. Tiny, almost cushion pea combs accompany the intense blue. More comb = greater tendency to greens or single-blues.

thanks. I think there may be alot of pretty egg colors I can produce using the white leghorns. Not to mention, super good egg production.
I'm gonna go look, thanks.

eta: oh, I could breed those F1's back to the blue egg layer, or green egg layer and possibly get darker colored eggs?

Pick them based on combs. Small pea combs are tied with blue.

Absolutely... one with single blue is easier to see into than one with double blue... blues are a harder one to see through, but the difference is like candling a regular brown egg layer egg, and a medium to dark Marans egg...

You can ask @WalnutHill if she remembers seeing a difference in some of my blue eggs for another opinion if you like...

Actually, I can get you comparison pics if you want... since I have that gorgeous candler K made...
big_smile.png

Yes, Ravyn's eggs were harder to see through than the "local farm" EEs. Those Spitzhauben eggs spoiled me, they were like tissue paper!

gal, that would be awesome!!!

so long as I can make sure that both parents have the double blue, that would be awesome.....

sounds like I need to get in contact with Mr Jerry.

eta: dangit slow me. so, the double blue, would mean the shell is blue, AND the cover is blue?
Look at pics of quality lines and how the combs look. I do sound like a broken record by now.

The Am hen I hatched from his eggs is double blue, but I can't speak for all his Am's or his Legbars being that way... just make sure you ask him if any of his are single blues... if there's any possibility of single blue egg carries, you wouldn't want to use the roo since there is no way to tell if he carries single or double until you test mate him and his pullet offspring mature and start laying... make sense?

And no, there is no 'cover' in the blue eggs... blue eggs are caused by a single gene (technically it started as a side effect of a retrovirus) and a bird can have 1 or 2 copies... brown eggs are caused by a coating similar to the bloom or a paint, if you will... that is controlled by at least 15 genes, I think? Thus the many varied shades of brown eggs...

Blue color actually saturates the entire shell itself... most of the brown can be scrubbed off, blue cannot... or crack open the shells and if you peel off the inner membrane the inside of a brown egg shell will be white, the inside of a blue egg shell will be blue...

Think of the blue this way... cup of water, put a single drop of blue food dye in it and stir, single blue egg gene... add a second drop and stir, double blue egg gene... the water simulates the whole shell, not just the outside... make sense?

That's also how you can spot color enhanced blue egg shells.

All I can say is that most of my Easter Eggers that hatch out in a solid color have bluer eggs than those that hatch with wild pattern. Tiny, almost cushion pea combs accompany the intense blue. More comb = greater tendency to greens or single-blues.

Pick them based on combs. Small pea combs are tied with blue.

Yes, Ravyn's eggs were harder to see through than the "local farm" EEs. Those Spitzhauben eggs spoiled me, they were like tissue paper!

Look at pics of quality lines and how the combs look. I do sound like a broken record by now.

That's also how you can spot color enhanced blue egg shells.
Very interesting! So, I'm doing a small project -really, just for fun- to try and get a blue laying sultan x EE. My 1st generation pullet (7 weeks right now) hatched a solid yellow color and has a teeny pea comb. So that might mean she has a decent chance of laying blue eggs?
-Banti

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom