Welcome to my pond - Swim, wade, or sit on the bank

All I can say is that most of my Easter Eggers that hatch out in a solid color have bluer eggs than those that hatch with wild pattern.  Tiny, almost cushion pea combs accompany the intense blue.  More comb = greater tendency to greens or single-blues.

Pick them based on combs.  Small pea combs are tied with blue.

Yes, Ravyn's eggs were harder to see through than the "local farm" EEs.  Those Spitzhauben eggs spoiled me, they were like tissue paper!

Look at pics of quality lines and how the combs look.  I do sound like a broken record by now.

That's also how you can spot color enhanced blue egg shells.  

Great points on the pea combs... but just to add... he is looking at using Legbars as well... single combs on those... ;)

Compared to store bought, they are medium to large with white shells. I've seen duck egg candling pics, these are similar. You can actually see the embryo if you hold the egg in front of a sunny window!

Are they distantly related to Polish?? Those eggs were that way too, and I got some of my favorite candling pics from my Polish hatch.

Last edited:
Very interesting! So, I'm doing a small project -really, just for fun- to try and get a blue laying sultan x EE. My 1st generation pullet (7 weeks right now) hatched a solid yellow color and has a teeny pea comb. So that might mean she has a decent chance of laying blue eggs?
-Banti

Based on 19 years of raising Easter Eggers, that's what I've found. Shank color, muff size, all other factors are secondary to the comb. I work with birds of varied ancestry and bring in outside eggs regularly so it's not just my flock.

Great points on the pea combs... but just to add... he is looking at using Legbars as well... single combs on those...
wink.png

Yeah...Legbars are an unknown to me. Maybe earlobes?

Based on 19 years of raising Easter Eggers, that's what I've found. Shank color, muff size, all other factors are secondary to the comb. I work with birds of varied ancestry and bring in outside eggs regularly so it's not just my flock.
thumbsup.gif

Thank you!
-Banti

Yeah...Legbars are an unknown to me.  Maybe earlobes?

:idunno

You're guess is as good as mine on that one... earlobes should be enamel white on Legbars, that's all I know, lol...

But Bert is talking about going to a well known, reputable breeder... I have no doubt that he will be honest in his answers to any questions...

WV can you tell me what I'm looking at?

It is called "candling"... shining a light inside a developing egg. You can see the blood vessels and the embryo forming. That was taken around day 10-12 of incubation.

ETA - the "bubble" at the top, just below the light is the air cell. Candling is helpful to check development of the embryo and to monitor air cell growth.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom