Welcome to my pond - Swim, wade, or sit on the bank

Beat this. . That jar of pears in that picture is probably ten years old. . it is the last jar I have of something my grandma canned. She has been gone now I think two years. . stopped canning probably 7 or 8 years ago. . :lau
How much longer can I keep it before it blows up you think? :gig

Still looks good to me!! :thumbsup

It will not look good splattered all over my kitchen if it blows. Its above my stove too so all that warmth is probably just asking for it. :lau

Lid will pop up/puff upwards before it explodes, so just chuck it if you see that happening... usually shows dark, nasty discoloration first too...

Is there anything you don't know? :lau
:hugs:hugs:hugs

:hugs
Grew up a poor farm girl, lol... our whole family was members of a group called the Gleaners... we'd clear out the veggie and fruit fields after they were harvested for dirt cheap... brought home tons of one thing at a time, so everything that could be canned was... sometimes that was all we had to eat for months...

Btw, I can't remember jack about the canning process except that it scares the ever loving chit outta me, so I haven't done it myself since I became an 'adult'... :lau
My parents canned or froze everything - my mom was very "depression era" minded so nothing ever went to waste. She also sewed everything we wore, down to our underwear!

Btw, I can't remember jack about the canning process except that it scares the ever loving chit outta me, so I haven't done it myself since I became an 'adult'... :lau
I have my grandma's pressure cooker. We used to can green beans out the wazoo. Tomatoes. .apples pears. . pickles. They had a huge garden themselves and would also do like you were saying and get the leftover crop s from other places. I remember some. . I have done some open kettle canning but I am a sceerd of the pressure cooker. I thought I would try to get into it. . but that was before ducks took over my life :lau

My parents canned or froze everything - my mom was very "depression era" minded so nothing ever went to waste. She also sewed everything we wore, down to our underwear!

I got one word... corduroys... :sick

I have my grandma's pressure cooker. We used to can green beans out the wazoo. Tomatoes. .apples pears. . pickles. They had a huge garden themselves and would also do like you were saying and get the leftover crop s from other places. I remember some. . I have done some open kettle canning but I am a sceerd of the pressure cooker. I thought I would try to get into it. . but that was before ducks took over my life :lau

:gig :hugs

I am so glad I'm not the only one scared of that danged thing! :lau

Back
Top Bottom