Welcome to the night shift

@Ursuline Chick, I will check with my friend from the Villa and ask him if I've met those folks at one of his events 🤔 .

I "overslept" this morning after a fitful night on the sofa. Severe storms with the possibility of hail were predicted as possibilities until 4 a.m., which meant I couldn't get to sleep. Right after I bought this property, there was a massive hail storm that caused almost $40,000 worth of damage (I love American Family Insurance, which came through wonderfully). So, the threat of hail frightens me more than that of tornados.

I stayed awake to watch the 10 p.m. news, which is normally well past my bedtime, just to catch the latest storm tracking. Then, I watched more TV to catch the updated weather crawl on the local channels.

I tried to sleep upstairs, but came back down, went outside in the rain to make sure garden plants on the deck were protected, and settled in on the sofa. It didn't feel like horrendous weather, so I left the car out of the garage, but figured I could dash out and put it inside if I heard hail. Yeah, I know the easy answer would have been to just put the car away. I often fail to take the easy (better?) way out of things.

Settled in is an overstatement. I didn't sleep nearly as well as the cat and smaller dog who shared the sofa with me. The bigger dog was content to stay on the floor and come over periodically to see if we were all okay.

Dreams, which I rarely remember, were plentiful and totally weird. Among the snippets I can recall: my Jim was being extremely contrary; I was back at community college; and "we" -- whoever the other person was -- were returning a couple of kids to their mom's apartment, but she wasn't home. Id dreams are supposed to help sort out our thoughts and feelings, I have no idea what I was intended to gain from these.

@Ursuline Chick, I will check with my friend from the Villa and ask him if I've met those folks at one of his events 🤔 .

I "overslept" this morning after a fitful night on the sofa. Severe storms with the possibility of hail were predicted as possibilities until 4 a.m., which meant I couldn't get to sleep. Right after I bought this property, there was a massive hail storm that caused almost $40,000 worth of damage (I love American Family Insurance, which came through wonderfully). So, the threat of hail frightens me more than that of tornados.

I stayed awake to watch the 10 p.m. news, which is normally well past my bedtime, just to catch the latest storm tracking. Then, I watched more TV to catch the updated weather crawl on the local channels.

I tried to sleep upstairs, but came back down, went outside in the rain to make sure garden plants on the deck were protected, and settled in on the sofa. It didn't feel like horrendous weather, so I left the car out of the garage, but figured I could dash out and put it inside if I heard hail. Yeah, I know the easy answer would have been to just put the car away. I often fail to take the easy (better?) way out of things.

Settled in is an overstatement. I didn't sleep nearly as well as the cat and smaller dog who shared the sofa with me. The bigger dog was content to stay on the floor and come over periodically to see if we were all okay.

Dreams, which I rarely remember, were plentiful and totally weird. Among the snippets I can recall: my Jim was being extremely contrary; I was back at community college; and "we" -- whoever the other person was -- were returning a couple of kids to their mom's apartment, but she wasn't home. Id dreams are supposed to help sort out our thoughts and feelings, I have no idea what I was intended to gain from these.
Sorry It has taken so long to answer you, I was finally falling asleep around that time. I tossed and turned last night, but didn't have a good reason like you did. I knew I had to get up this morning, so I couldn't sleep. :confused:

I have to check out American Family Insurance, our homeowners insurance gave us enough to replace our fence that we lost, but can't seem to get the roof straight. We had a 50 year Hurricane proof roof put on after Katrina. During Ida I heard the shingles rollingoff the roof. Well, like I said, in the end we had enough to replace the fence. :th
At least your dog has your back. :love

I think we talked about Jim so much yesterday, that's why you had weird dreams. Although I have to say, I enjoyed learning about you and Jim. :love
I hope you have a better day today.

No apology needed or expected! And, today is a good day, although I suspect I will fall asleep during Wheel of Fortune -- which airs at 6:30 here. Of course, I set an alarm by the sofa so I can go put the poultry to bed before dark.

Sorry to hear about your disappointing insurance company.

Before I met Jim, he ran a roofing company, and when we got together he told me that of all the companies he worked with, American Family was the easiest to deal with and the most fair to customers. He convinced me to switch to AmFam, and within less than six months, that massive hail storm hit.

Not only did an AmFam rep come out the following day, he wrote a check On The Spot for more than $36,000; he was really busy because it was a widespread storm, so he said if we found anything else that should have been covered to let him know. We did, and without even coming back to examine what we reported, I got another check for almost $4,000.

The company has also been more than fair in subsequent, but thank goodness, smaller claims. I am a customer for life. And, that ends my unpaid endorsement of the company!

It's nice to be able to remember Jim and share stories of our past. Let's hope you and I both sleep well and have pleasant dreams.

My basic non-sleeping rule is: If I'm still awake after an hour, give up and get up. So, here I am. None of my getting-back-to-sleep tricks worked.

I found my brain wandering from trying to remember the fourth item I bought at Target yesterday (it was a bottle of Hint clementine water) to figuring out what I need at Menards today to be able to repair the rotted 4-by-4 post that helps support the roof (at the very least, a new post and a nail plate to attach it to the overhead beam). And, I need to bake some banana-apple muffins before the fruit goes bad.

The cat wasn't helping. He is only a cuddly boy for about 10 percent of his life. He had been sleeping nicely in front of me, then decided to lay on my arm. And lick my arm. And sink his claw into my arm.

Apparently, I scared him when I yelled, "Owww!" He fell off the bed, which woke up the small dog who was sleeping on the bed, and the ruckus woke up the big, blind dog who sleeps downstairs, and I could hear him paces in circles at the foot of the stairs. I see a nap in my future today,

BTW, @Ursuline Chick, I talked to my friend, Michael, who was the director at the Villa Louis. He said he knew all of the re-enacting folks you had mentioned, so I May have met them in Prairie du Chien, even if I can't place them now.

Hope everyone else is getting a decent night's sleep.

Estate stuff Hopefully, writing this out will help me clarify what to do.

First. I can't keep much of it. Even if I wanted to. I know I am not willing to pay for storage space - either to build some or to rent it. And leaving it outside to rust, rot, go brittle from UV (plastics), etc is theoretically possible but emotionally not possible (too much has been lost that way already.)

Second. I could hire an estate liquidator to dispose of it. Is there such a thing for non-household estates? Even if there is, all of my siblings are against that idea. Possibly, I could hire one after my share is sorted out. The most attractive part of hiring one is to not have to sort it all. I wouldn't get that but I might still get help with pricing and marketing.

Third. I could price and market my share myself. The biggest downside to this is not having a place to store it while I do that.

Fourth. We talked of a buyout price. The biggest downside is not knowing what it might be worth. As is and where is. Or otherwise.

So, there is that.

If I try to market it, how would I do that?

Estate sale? Auction sale? Yard sale?
Each of these might be possible here if the others want to. If they don't want to.... then what? Some people take the stuff to the auctioneer's place. Some estate sales are held in rented buildings (haven't seen that around here, though).

My family did a lot of stalls at farmers markets for produce and such. It is a possibility but would I really cover the cost of the stall and the fuel to haul it there? Much less the time to load it in the truck, drive to the market, and stay there all day/afternoon?

Various online markets? Not my wheelhouse but maybe.

So I conclude: let it go, I can't get to the value.

But it won't stay concluded. Because there is sooo much value. If it can be gotten to. How much are several dozen half bushel baskets worth? A few thousand canning jars? A 20 bushel box full of jumper cables. A half dozen hand trucks. Six electric fencers. Several miles of hi tensile wire, poly wire, deer tape, drip tape. Five freezers that don't work and six that do. Dozens of vice grips. Bushel boxes of pliers. A pile of ladders. Almost all of which will be added to as we find more. And on and on and on.

Some are brand new. Some are lightly used. Some are old but solid. Some are rusted beyond use. Some are broken but repairable. Or not. Some are the best you can buy and some are the cheapest you can buy.
I am truly sorry for your situation.
The online market was how I went for a moving sale. I staged things, snapped a pic, set a reasonable price and posted. Transactions and pick up was at my house (bc I was moving anyway) but one needs to be careful of the sickos out there.
be warned tho. I had one bad experience with an obsessed craigslist crazy lady who kept trying to contacting me to hang out with her and her cats :barnie
umm, N-to the O, Heck No!!

My basic non-sleeping rule is: If I'm still awake after an hour, give up and get up. So, here I am. None of my getting-back-to-sleep tricks worked.

I found my brain wandering from trying to remember the fourth item I bought at Target yesterday (it was a bottle of Hint clementine water) to figuring out what I need at Menards today to be able to repair the rotted 4-by-4 post that helps support the roof (at the very least, a new post and a nail plate to attach it to the overhead beam). And, I need to bake some banana-apple muffins before the fruit goes bad.

The cat wasn't helping. He is only a cuddly boy for about 10 percent of his life. He had been sleeping nicely in front of me, then decided to lay on my arm. And lick my arm. And sink his claw into my arm.

Apparently, I scared him when I yelled, "Owww!" He fell off the bed, which woke up the small dog who was sleeping on the bed, and the ruckus woke up the big, blind dog who sleeps downstairs, and I could hear him paces in circles at the foot of the stairs. I see a nap in my future today,

BTW, @Ursuline Chick, I talked to my friend, Michael, who was the director at the Villa Louis. He said he knew all of the re-enacting folks you had mentioned, so I May have met them in Prairie du Chien, even if I can't place them now.

Hope everyone else is getting a decent night's sleep.
I would love to be a fly on the wall in your house just for the pup antics, but Im afraid the buzzing would keep everyone awake lol

Welcome.

For me it was 2:00. Occasionally other times but they were different in that I could get back to sleep sometimes then. It is more varied now for me. Tonight, I think I will be going back to sleep.

Has anyone tried audio books for the purpose of getting back to sleep?
I haven’t tried them but that is a good idea and would help lessen screen time. I read that the blue light from devices can interrupt normal melatonin secretion.

Has anyone tried audio relaxation apps? In college I took a tribal studies course. I recall a video he watched about ritualistic chanting and drum beating that really relaxed my mind (in other words I fell asleep in class). That may work..? Or I get hypnotized and join the ranks of the flock. cluck.

When Jim and I used to travel, he loved to listen to public radio shows. Much as I like PBS TV, I found that listening to people talking, talking, talking and talking some more made me drift off. Fortunately, I was in the passenger's seat.

The chanting and drums appeals to me. At one of the sites where we did historic re-enacting, the camp was set up close to the pow wow grounds, and at night, we would fall asleep listening to the ceremonies up on the hill -- quite hypnotic and beautiful.

Back
Top Bottom